Go Down

Topic: Inverting a HIGH signal sent from an arduino (Read 705 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi,
I am building a project which uses a separate microcontroller to turn on some LEDs and make them flicker. The code for this is all working.

In order to turn the LED-running microcontroller on, I attached a transistor to it, and correctly wired it so that if I sent a 'LOW' from my arduino to the transistor, it would allow the current to pass through it.

I have just found that it is actually necessary for my sketch to send a HIGH in order to keep some delays running (im not sure why, but thats what I figured out).

So basically I need to make something that will invert the signal being sent:
IE
If 5v is recieved by new circuitry, 0v is sent AND
If 0v is recieved by new circuitry, 5v is sent.

That may sound a little confusing but im not sure how I could word it better.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

John

Si

It would be good if you could post your schematic (just the transistor bit).

You would expect +V to turn an npn transistor on, so it may be that you are not quite wired up right.
--
I write books about Arduino and Electronics: http://simonmonk.org

James C4S

I have just found that it is actually necessary for my sketch to send a HIGH in order to keep some delays running (im not sure why, but thats what I figured out).

In addition to your hardware schematic, can you explain this comment a bit more?  What the IO pin outputs shouldn't matter.  So the "high" or "low" isn't the actual issue.

As a direct answer, you could simply use an inverter like a classic 7404.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Thanks for the help both of you, I will Just use a 7404.

John

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy