Go Down

Topic: How to make arduino read the IP address of the computer that its connected to? (Read 93 times) previous topic - next topic

saringeti

I've read lots of articles about how to make the arduino read the IP address of the network shield, but i wanted to make it read the IP of the computer that its connected to(or being powered by), is it possible to make this work? Or is it currently not possible?

pylon

I've read lots of articles about how to make the arduino read the IP address of the network shield, but i wanted to make it read the IP of the computer that its connected to(or being powered by), is it possible to make this work? Or is it currently not possible?
This must not be possible for security reasons. The Arduino is powered by USB (usually), so it would have to abuse the USB to get information about the computer it is connected to. As the USB standard does not include a way to ask for the computer's IP address (which is not related to the USB connector anyway), this is only possible by using invasive methods that would be a security threat in any case.

It is currently not possible and will not be possible in the future, I hope.

MarkT

You have to arrange that the computer tells the Arduino this.  I presume you are wanting some sort of
unique id?  Or is there another reason (xyproblem)
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Go Up