Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Strain gauge on a chip?  (Read 1375 times)
UK
The red wire is ground, right ???
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I need to incorporate a strain gauge into a project I'm working on.

Strain gauges themselves seem to be quite cheap, but they don't work without an exciter circuit to provide an input signal, and a hi-gain op-amp circuit to turn a minuscule signal into something a microprocessor can read. (all this according to what I've learnt from google in the last 15 minutes)

There are also a bewildering variety of op-amp circuits out there, however what I'm looking for (and can't find) is a simple 'strain gauge on a chip' I can buy. At this stage of my project I'd prefer not to get side-tracked into analogue circuit design unless I have to. Is there really no single chip solution? I can't be the first one to want to measure strain? Even sparkfun don't seem to have a breakout board to help me, and they have a sensor for everything!

Thanks

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Here is another way you might consider reading low level strain gauges wired into Wheatstone bridge circuits. It's a low level differential input 24 bit ADC converter. It's based on a TM7709 chip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121022291106?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Here is a posting where I talk about it.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,154481.15.html

Lefty
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:32:15 am by retrolefty » Logged

UK
The red wire is ground, right ???
View Profile

Thanks, at least that's a damn sight cheaper than many of the options out there.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: