Go Down

Topic: Sensor for Measuring Linear Speed (Read 154 times) previous topic - next topic

Dyaus292

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some sensors which will enable me to measure the linear velocity of an object passing through a "gate". Essentially we can think of this as an object being fired (I can have the object go through a gate), and I will need the velocity of the object at the beginning/end of the gate. The speed of my object will likely range between 2 and 25 meters/sec. A good accuracy will be important (I would plan for at least within 0.1)

I would plan to attach to an arduino, however would be happy to purchase a ready made package and minimize the chance of error with my "tinkering".

Thanks for any suggestions.

Best regards,

jremington

Feb 02, 2016, 09:48 pm Last Edit: Feb 02, 2016, 09:49 pm by jremington
A photogate comes to mind. Very simple and accurate for DIY.

Dyaus292

Is there a pre-built photogate that would be available for purchase? If not, would you be able to recommend which components would work best to build a photogate?

Thanks for your help.

Magician

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9299

jremington

Here is a larger commercial photogate. There are plenty of DIY articles on the web.

Dyaus292

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy