Go Down

Topic: Newbie question (Read 573 times) previous topic - next topic

Highgard

Im new to this forum and hope this went to the right place.

Question that I have is:

After running a sketch how do you make it stop running the program.I know it sounds lame but hey i just got started today and other than unpluging the board I havent seen anything about it. :smiley-eek: :smiley-red:

Coding Badly

unplugging the board

That's pretty much it.  The microcontroller is designed to always run when it has power.

Highgard

Ok then Im not just nuts or blind. Thanks for the fast reply

Highgard

I do have one other Question I forgot to ask and its with the ,I guess the new LCD-1602(from Emartee.Electronics) all the ones I've seen have a short red board fixed to the back as did the one in the picture of the starter kit i bought but mine has extra stuff, questions are
1.) what is the extra portion of the red board for ? IE 3x2 pin connector
2.)how do you interface with the board since you don't have access to all the pins down the side or bottom of the LCD itself
although i have been able to get a couple to things displayed its just tough when you cant follow some of the sketches in the library.
No i don't have the shield yet as i said before i just started playing with it today but I see now I'll need one.
Ps.just gota love the schematic they show on there site for the LCD. lol

Coding Badly

Someone else will have to help with that question.

cr0sh

If there is a particular condition that your code checks for that is meant to indicate "ALL STOP", then what you can do is drop into a short infinite loop routine. While technically the Arduino will continue to "run", it will be stuck in that loop and not execute any further instructions until you reset it. There are other methods available to achieve a similar result of halting processing (there is a way to put the Arduino to "sleep", for instance), but they aren't as simple as a small infinite loop. The downside of the infinite loop approach (while being simple to implement) is that the Arduino is still using full power (so if you are needing to pause the program while waiting for a long time for input or other signal to start processing - say, for instance, a remote sensor you query that runs on small batteries - an infinite loop is not likely an ideal solution).
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Highgard

Jul 24, 2011, 08:44 pm Last Edit: Jul 24, 2011, 08:48 pm by Highgard Reason: 1
OK that first question was answered just couldn't figure out why there was a stop button but it didn't seem to do anything  thanks but still haven't quite figuered out the others

Go Up