Go Down

Topic: move rod 30 cm back and forward in a straight line (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

roiny

Hi, I want to use arduino to move a thin, lightweight and rigid plastic rod approximately 30 cm back and forward in a straight line. What is the easiest and most inexpensive arduino solution for that?

I can't just attach the rod to a servo because that would give a circular motion. What other actuators or machinery could I use?

AWOL

Jul 24, 2011, 02:02 pm Last Edit: Jul 24, 2011, 02:29 pm by AWOL Reason: 1
What is the easiest and most inexpensive arduino solution for that?

Tie the rod to a hamster, and use the Arduino to stick a pin attached to a servo into the hamster's derriere.

Seriously, what sort of displacement, and how fast and accurate does it need to be?
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

roiny

Hi there. The rod needs to move 30 centimers "out" and then 30 cm back "in" again. I must control and change the movement from arduino. It should for example be possible to move the rod 10 cm, stop, move 5 cm more, move 15 cm back, then move all the way out. Speed is not very important. It would be a plus if it could move "out" from 0 to 30 centimeters in about 3 seconds.

roiny

Jul 24, 2011, 04:50 pm Last Edit: Jul 24, 2011, 04:54 pm by roiny Reason: 1
KE7GKP: I need to move a rod 30 centimeters in a straight line. I'm not sure how the piston will achieve that. The piston arm is not moving in a straight line. I guess I could replace the yellow block in the illustration with the rod. But then I'm still not sure how to get it to move in a straight line. Did you have any idea for that in mind?
edit: the rod should extend 30 cm "into the air". The 0-30cm part of the rod that is extended at some time can't be attached or rest in any surface.

I can't think of any more details that are really relevant for the question.

Are there no actuators that work extend itself similar to how you manually extend the handle of a compact umbrella?

AWOL

But then I'm still not sure how to get it to move in a straight line

It looks to me like the piston is moving in a straight line.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Go Up