Go Down

Topic: Freeduino (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

John_Ryan

Sweet,

"Me" make an Ethernet version ( ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ) I'm still a newbie, if I get to 600 posts I'll take a stab at it. I only just installed "Epoxy" and "Osmond Quartz" and they make no sense at all  :o  

dorkbotdc

Are you going to scope a bt or ethernet version of the freeduino?  

I suggest using the Lantronics Xport Direct, it is about $30 (from Mouser, etc.) but uses 2mm pin spacing.

Daniel

Hi

I have received some files from people, and I figured the best way to organize them might be to make a wiki that allows everyone to put up their version. So stand by, wiki on the way!

D

paulb

Sep 08, 2007, 04:03 am Last Edit: Sep 08, 2007, 04:05 am by paulb Reason: 1
I just want to say that the Freeduino initiative really exciting, and I'm glad to see it happening.
I also found the Arduino licensing discussion pertinent and amusing.

I think describing Arduinos-by-others as Freeduinos has a slightly transgressive tone to it, and I'll try it out on the moderndevice site.

Daniel

Sep 08, 2007, 04:35 am Last Edit: Sep 08, 2007, 04:42 am by Daniel Reason: 1
well the main goal is to get to the PCB phase, because after that we can all get t-shirts and hats. It didn't seem like a rational move to make the t-shirts first.

Seriously though, there is something interesting here in terms of the colalboration. Some kind folks have sent me routed eagle files and  production-ready Gerber files.  I'll  put them on the soon-to-be publicly editable wiki very shortly, so that I'm not the guy in charge, and we can figure out where to go from there collectively.  

Obviously the next order of business is have a Freeduino conference at a hotel, somewhere with a good buffet. Oh and t-shirts.  

:)

Daniel

Sep 09, 2007, 08:03 pm Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007, 08:06 pm by Daniel Reason: 1
Freeduino update:

Paul Badger at Moderndevice.com and Brian Riley at Wulfden.org take the prize for selling the first Freeduino-branded products!
Ok we seriously 'Freeduino' need hats now.

See Paul's giant servo controller (dev kits) http://moderndevice.com/servo.html

and of course  http://wulfden.org/Arduino/freeduino.shtml , home of "freeduino compatible products" :)

We also have a little developer's wiki running; if you want to help design pcb's, pm me and I'll send you the URL.  

D

Oliver Keller

woot! it takes off

John_Ryan

sweet! hey I'll post a transparent version of the logo with a proper picture of the board, the one floating around at the moment was only a 5 second mock up  :)

mellis

Nice work, guys.  It's cool to see so much excitement and people designing their own hardware.  Any chance I can take a look at the wiki?

Out of curiosity, why not use a picture of the Freeduino hardware in your logo?  Wouldn't it make more sense than the Arduino serial board?

Again, I'm impressed at how much attention this type of work is starting to get from people with more experience designing and making their own hardware.  It's nice to see more options becoming available to people, and more documentation being created.  If there are way you think it would be helpful to work together (i.e. creating or combining documentation, making modifications to the software, etc.), please let me know.  

wayoda

Hi,
before I go on : I like the Freeduino idea but...
Freeduino update:
Paul Badger at Moderndevice.com and Brian Riley at Wulfden.org take the prize for selling the first Freeduino-branded products!
Ok we seriously 'Freeduino' need hats now.

...I might have missed something ?
The Moderndevice Website carries the Freeduino logo, but no production Layout/Gerber-Files  for the BareBonesBoard?
If I simply was to dumb to find them on the site, I apologize,
but otherwise what exactly is the "more-open-than-the-Arduino-factor" of the Freeduino project?

Eberhard

westfw

Heh.  Since one of the things Freeduino was supposed to address was the restrictions on the use of the "Arduino" name, it seems to me that they/we don't have a lot to say; theoretically anyone can use the Freeduino name, whether or not they buy into the principal of "fully open source hardware including cad files please."  A pretty state of things, as one might say.  And technically, I guess that's OK, especially WRT shields...

Daniel

Sep 10, 2007, 05:00 pm Last Edit: Sep 10, 2007, 06:42 pm by Daniel Reason: 1
Eberhard:

Freeduino is a kind of hack... for sure it's a free name to use for products, and shortly it will be a set of PCB production files.

In a sense it's "Arduino + Anarchy". This way you still have the nice stable Arduino platform, and Freeduino represents a rainbow of different modifications to that platform... without having to worry about the trademark issues associated with selling things as "Arduino". But yes, I agree that Freeduino files should be open and available, I'll ask Paul and Brian W. about that.

Also this is an oblique lesson in "technological determinism". Philosophers of technology have long known that you cannot control the trajectory of a technology. ( cf. Langdon Winner, Don Ihde etc. )  When Bombardier invented the snowmobile, for example, they certainly didn't expect that drinking and snowmobiling would be a problem, or that someone would build a beer-rack for snowmobiles, or that the use of snowmobiles by Lapland reindeer herders would cause changes in the reindeer's reproductive cycles... Similarly, the Arduino team could not have foreseen the Barebones Arduino, or Arduino used in a kite, or, in this case, Freeduino.

You really can't control where a technology is going and what it will become. If anyone knew how to do this consistently, they would be very rich indeed.

:)

D

John_Ryan

Out of curiosity, why not use a picture of the Freeduino hardware in your logo?  Wouldn't it make more sense than the Arduino serial board?

Stellar idea!

The PNG

The GIF

Freeduino the carpet

Freeduino the white

The PNG

Daniel

Sep 10, 2007, 09:01 pm Last Edit: Sep 10, 2007, 09:05 pm by Daniel Reason: 1
John_Ryan:

hilarious, you're a total anarchist! :D

You probably shouldn't use the NG image or name... that belongs to Arduino.

In a little while we will run some PCB's for the Freeduino designs we have now, so hang on... give it three weeks.

D

Oliver Keller

I guess mellis didn't meant having a mock-up of the original board in the logo...

Well, why actually a logo? Freeduino should be a base for many board designs. A picture of one specific board doesn't fit, IMHO.
Also Arduino doesn't have a logo and in restrospect I think this was a good descision by the arduino team.

mellis: regarding combined documentation, teamwork etc.
As daniel said, there is no real control about freeduino. It will depend on the author of a specific board, how she/he wishes a representation in arduino.cc docs or woud like to teamwork.

I think it's just the right time for a dedicated page, outside playground (to look more official), where people can submit/edit info and links about an arduino compatible board.

Go Up