Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 328P-20PU VS 328P-PU ??  (Read 1329 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hi am i right in thinking the only difference between the 328P-20PU and the 328P-PU is the 20PU is good for 20Mhz? as apposed to the 16Mhz 328P-PU??

basically im looking to buy some pre-loaded (bootloader) atmega chips for a project so i can just plug them into the arduino board flash them with my project and then plug them into the final project, however my chip is a ATMEGA328P-20PU and the chips im looking at buying are ATMEGA328P-PU chips, just wanted to check that they are compatible before i buy them.

thanks guys, apologies if this is in the wrong section.

kris

Humboldt, CA
Arduino BBB
View Profile

Shouldn't make any difference at all.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Shouldn't make any difference at all.

thank you, just wanted to make sure smiley-grin

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

hi am i right in thinking the only difference between the 328P-20PU and the 328P-PU is the 20PU is good for 20Mhz? as apposed to the 16Mhz 328P-PU??
Different suppliers may pick a different name (sometimes even incorrect or misleading) for their product listing.

As far as I know there is no 16MHz DIP version of the AtMega328 as all DIP versions are rated for 20 MHz (there is an automotive version rated for 16 MHz max, but they do not come as –PU versions). The bootloader will require/expect a specific frequency and so you need to verify that this match your requirements.

As for 328P-PU versus 328P-20PU I think it is safe to assume they’re not only compatible, but identical.

View Profile

Hi, have some 328P-20PU and I use the uno to load the bootloader, on the 328P-PU it works. But with the 328P-20PU I can't get to load the bootloader on the chip.. Please help.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

If you look at the latest '328P datasheet (Feb 2013), you'll see that '328P-20PU isn't listed, so those are likely old stock, or perhaps counterfeits. Is there a date code on the parts?

* 328Pordering.jpg (68.33 KB, 960x720 - viewed 21 times.)

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

http://www.atmel.com/devices/ATMEGA328P.aspx

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Atlanta, USA
Edison Member
AKA: Ray Burne
View Profile

<...>
basically im looking to buy some pre-loaded (bootloader) atmega chips for a project so i can just plug them into the arduino board flash them with my project and then plug them into the final project, however my chip is a ATMEGA328P-20PU and the chips im looking at buying are ATMEGA328P-PU chips, just wanted to check that they are compatible before i buy them.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/123
The markup @Adafruit for prime Atmel328P-PU is 100% of the 25qty price... Lots of give away cash!

Using an UNO with ArduinoISP surely is easy and saves 1/2+ on uC costs. On windows, you can even copy&paste the files!
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=182849.0

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: