Go Down

Topic: Should I post a PM that I received? [RESOLVED] (Read 281 times) previous topic - next topic

Robin2

Jun 03, 2016, 08:18 am Last Edit: Jun 04, 2016, 09:25 am by Robin2
This is a question about Forum Etiquette.

I have received an unsolicited PM that I consider to have been grossly inappropriate as it relates to other controversial discussions in the Forum and IMHO the discussion should have remained public.

My initial thought is to Copy and Paste the message into the relevant Forum Thread, but I thought I would seek the views of wiser heads first.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

AWOL

I'd say if it was unsolicited, and you anonymise it, sure, go ahead.

Just my personal 2 cents, not official moderator advice.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Robin2

Just to be clear, it would only make sense if the Author was identified because it relates to other stuff in the Public Forum that the Author has posted (and which has been replied to).

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

AWOL

If you think it in the public interest to publish, go ahead.
If you think it's just going to pour petrol on a flame-war, don't bother.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

MAS3

I think that if i would be in your predicament and didn't want to put petrol to the flame, i'd let the person know (in the thread, certainly not per PM) that their behaviour isn't acceptable and tell them that they are not worth lowering yourself to their level and repeat their crap.

It doesn't seem to be possible to report a PM to a moderator, but you can report the person in said thread.
A moderator can contact you for more information and you could forward the PM to that moderator (but that way you could also make up some false allegations and create some message you never received, if you'd happen to be up to no good).

It isn't too difficult what user might be bothering you at this moment to persons like me who are visiting this forum on a daily basis, and in general keep track of threads that were created to stir up crap.
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

Robin2

Jun 04, 2016, 09:24 am Last Edit: Jun 04, 2016, 09:25 am by Robin2
I am marking this as Resolved. See here
...R

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy