Loop Back Test - Sticky?

I did it. It worked (eecchhoo)
I`m having a: "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding" with a NKC Freeduino V2.2 on Ubuntu Studio 13.04
Thanks for the tip. Now I know my serial rig over USB is working.
Best Regards
Jose Angel Mora

thanks for the info

Did not understand setup #7 "Connect the terminal application to the serial port of your board" I was using Sketch.....Serial Monitor.

Serial Monitor is a terminal application. It will work fine for the test.

Is there a loop back test for the Arduino Mega 2560? I don't see a reset pin on it. My tx1 and rx0 are on two different sockets. Unfortunately rx0 is on the ftdi that I use to connect to my PC.

"Start your favourite terminal application. Serial Monitor will work fine."
What would be a terminal application and how do I monitor the Serial Monitor on the Mega 2560?

I also have a Arduino Uno that I uploaded a sketch to and I ran fine so I'm assuming it's working ok. Does this loop test tell me more about my Uno that I would like to know? I have a reset pin and a tx1 and rx0 on the Digital pins. But again, not to sound stupid but what would be a terminal program and how do you hook up a serial port to test with.

Unfortunately rx0 is on the ftdi that I use to connect to my PC.

That's the point

I also have a Arduino Uno that I uploaded a sketch to and I ran fine so I'm assuming it's working ok. Does this loop test tell me more about my Uno that I would like to know? I have a reset pin and a tx1 and rx0 on the Digital pins. But again, not to sound stupid but what would be a terminal program and how do you hook up a serial port to test with.

The loopback test is to verify operation of the USB/serial chip. If it works there is no need for it

smeezekitty:

Unfortunately rx0 is on the ftdi that I use to connect to my PC.

That's the point

Are you referring to a Mega 2560 board?

According to the instruction, my PC even cannot connect my leonardo device . my PC can not find the serial port .PC have no sound(my PC speaker turn on)

its not working ..what should do?

It would help if someone please with these six questions?

1. What do you sound?
  2. Where do I find the computer system protocol?
  3. What terminal do you mean Arduino IDE?
  4. How do I connect the terminal application to the serial port on my Arduino?
  5. I do not know why but the information that sends me not go back?
  6. What is the end application?

Excuse me for grammar, I'm from Czech Republic and I am fourteen years old.

So now someone please answer! :wink:

does not help with Mini 328 board.

Huh?

Hello there,
I'm a beginner in arduimo development so please bear with me! I would love to know what you mean by "launch your favourite terminal application".
Thank you

You need a PC program to communicate over the serial line.
These programs are called terminal programs (or application).

Older Windows versions came with hyperterminal.
But there's a lot of these applications around, and each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

HOW DO YOU GET THE SERIAL MONITOR?

Hi and welcome.

Certainly not by SHOUTING at it, that's just rude.

Open the Arduino IDE.
On the right , just above the edit screen you'll see an icon.
If you hover over it, a text will appear telling you that that is a way to open the serial monitor (click it).
You can also go to the menu, tools and select serial monitor from there.
Or press ctrl+shift+m .
Plenty of ways to get there i'd say (this is all valid for the windows version of the IDE, i don't know about other versions but i suspect some of the above mentioned will be very similar).

Working serial connection between Arduino serial port and PC is demonstrated by flashing of both RX and TX LEDs during ANY program "Upload".

The physical RX path can also be verified by using and running Examples Basic BareMinimum and monitor.

Just type in random series of characters - using PC keyboard "repeat" feature and than pres "Send" or just key in "Enter".

Flashing "RX" LED indicates good RX connection and is a good indicator that TX works also.
Setting the baud rate to 300 bauds makes the RX flashing more pronounced during this simple verification test.

Software remote loopback test (monitor as a source and Arduino as a remote destination) can be implemented by echoing ( using Serial ) the characters typed into monitor "send" field back to the monitor "print" field.
Observing both LED's will verify the connection.

Software remote test "sketch" available upon request.

So my Arduino Uno R3 board failed the test and will not execute the program that used to be on it, and does not allow me to upload any new program; returns "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding". The "ON" light is on and the "L" LED stays solid on all of the time. Correct voltage comes out of the 5V pin. Does this mean that the processor is dead and I should buy a new board? Not sure what the next test I should run is.