Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Playground getting reorganized, comments please  (Read 4018 times)
dinosaur cork
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

What's with the wiki headings in the stylesheet?

The second level headings !!
and third level headings !!!

are both bolder than the first level heading !

Is it possible to fix this or it going to break the rest of the site?

My guess is that most people have avoided !! and !!! because they are out of hierarchical order,
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:42:38 am by paulb » Logged

Wuppertal/Germany
God Member
View Profile

Hi,

The second level headings !!
and third level headings !!! are both bolder than the first level heading !
But the first level inserts a horizontal rule below the Headline.

Is it possible to fix this or it going to break the rest of the site?
I would rather see second and third-level headings with smaller fontsize than first-level being made even more bold.
It won't break anything on the site as long as the original authors stayed with the "first level heading is more important than second level heading; etc."

Eberhard

dinosaur cork
View Profile

I would rather see second and third-level headings with smaller fontsize than first-level being made even more bold.
It won't break anything on the site as long as the original authors stayed with the "first level heading is more important than second level heading; etc."

I agree with this - kick the font sizes down on both second and third levels maybe third could stay bold. Anyway - make them look like they should be in order.

Wuppertal/Germany
God Member
View Profile

Hi,
could we move topics like these
    The second level headings !! and third level headings !!!
    And my answer to this as well!
    [/list]
    to the Playground design requests thread
    http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1194343642
    These topics are not News so they are better off in Bugs&Suggestions

Thanks
    Eberhard

Arduino rocks
    View Profile

True that none of this is exactly "News" anymore, but is it okay if we keep all discussion here for the time being to avoid confusion?  A lot of this style discussion will end up as content in the new style guide, and the style changes will end up effecting how I format the markup for the new pages.
    Thanks!

Wuppertal/Germany
    God Member
    View Profile

Hi,
    there was a question about a LCD and I wanted to provide a link into the playground. The LCD-Page is already tagged
    "This page is obsolete as of November 5, 2007. Please see the Ouput / LCD section of the new Interfacing with Hardware page"

I'm afraidthat was a bit quick!
    On the "Interfacing with Hardware"-Page there is no #link-anchor for the Lcd-section, So in my answer I can only link into the "Interfacing with Hardware"/"Output" section, which is too broad I think.
    The original LCD-page is still needed (but it definitly needs a clean-up).
    I suggest a sub-directory-page, if there are more than 3 entrys for a topic?
    The Output/Led section for instance covers :
      Driving single leds
      Driving led-matrixes with a MAX7221
      Driving led-matrixes with some other chips
      RGB-leds
      PWM and Leds
      whatever.
    Even the MAX7221-page covers 2 different libraries, some standalone code, a pdf and a forum-posting.
    Way too much for the "Interfacing with Hardware"-directory.
    There must be a way to link more selectively from the forum into the playground.

Eberhard

Arduino rocks
    View Profile

Very good point on both counts.  I will add in a bunch more anchor tags firstly.  And I think a rule of thumb for breaking sub-topics into their own pages makes sense too.  I think somewhere between 3 and 5 items?  In the long run, this process will require either group participation, or someone periodically going through and cleaning up the pages.  I suppose the best thing will be to cut and paste the content from the original page, and then make from the main page to the new dedicated content page.  Is there any way to automatically put the headings from the sub page into the parent pages listing?  That would be nice, as the parent page could continue to act as a table of contents.  I'll look into it.  Expect these updates in the next day or two.  In the meantime, if you need, feel free to make a link from the "Interfacing with Hardware" page to an LCD sub-page (probably the original one?) and get all the content the put in there.  thanks!

Arduino rocks
    View Profile

Hey All,
    Mr. Cheater has run into hardware troubles and is unable to get on-line.  I had been thinking about it anyways, so I decided to just dive in on the skins and see what I could do.  I also decided to use my best judgement on the skin.  Originally, monobook seemed okay to me, but once I tried it, it felt too different from the look and feel of the main arduino site.  I ended up choosing abitmodern as it is similar to the arduino main site, yet different enough so that visitors differentiate the publicly modifiable section from the "official" website area.  I also sorted out how to add in special source code modifiers with a plug-in and a "sourcecode" wiki markup tag.  I will write up how to use it in the upcoming "Participation Guide," but basically you use:

(:source lang=c linenum smiley

and

(:sourecend:)

There are some nice options, including line number, thus "linenum" in the above example.  My favorite part is that you can click to get an unformatted page of only the code.  This will greatly improve the wiki for distributing libraries.   Its all thanks to the SourceBlock plugin
    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SourceBlock

which is in turn thanks to GeSHi
    http://qbnz.com/highlighter/

its cool stuff.  If someone wants to get really fancy, they could do an Arduino specific code format, but 'c' looks good to me for now.

As for any other modifications, all I changed was the left justify the wiki so it matched the arduino maine site.  Otherwise, anything I changed inevitably looked worse, so I decided to leave well enough alone.

okay.  That's the current news.  I think/hope this should respond to most/many people's wishes for the wiki.  I will send all this to mellis to get uploaded.  Once its up, I would appreciate more feedback.  This isn't written in stone.  I just wanted to put something together so this wiki upgrade doesn't lose momentum.

Wuppertal/Germany
    God Member
    View Profile

Hi,
    I tried the "abitmodern" skin on my local pmwiki-installation.
    Looks ok, but you need at least a 1024x768 resolution on your screen. At 800 pixels the layout is already broken.  
    Is that a problem we should care about?

If I understood the last post right, syntax highlighting is optionally switched on by some special markup, thats fine.
    With the standard [@ @] pre-tags I have a standard formatting.

Could you check if you like these two css-tweaks for monospaced text and preformatted code ([@ @])?
    (Simply copy them into pub/skins/abitmodern/abitmodern.css)
    Code:
    /* Make monospaced text stand out a bit, in SansSerif fonts */
    #wikitext code {
          font-family: 'Andale Mono', courier, monospace;
          font-size:110%;
    }
    /* Put preformatted text in a box with gray background, safe some space too with a smaller font*/
    #wikitext pre {
          font-size:90%;
          font-weight:normal;
          color: #0;
            margin-left:2ex;
            margin-right:2ex;
            padding-left:1ex;
            padding-rigth:1ex;
          background-color: #eee;
          border-width : thin;
          border-style : solid;
    }

Eberhard
    « Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 04:49:57 am by wayoda » Logged

Wuppertal/Germany
    God Member
    View Profile

Hi,
    some more suggestions...

The standard config of abitmodern displays the filename of the current page in the headline. If someone creates a page named "MyFirstWikiPage" this will look a bit stupid. By removing the pagename we don't have to force contributers to think about a really good filename befeore he even starts to write.
    The page-subtitle-id has to be commented out in /pub/skins/abitmodern/abitmodern.tmpl.
    Here is the relevant section from  abitmodern.tmpl
    Code:
    <body>
        <div id='wrapper'>
            <div id='head'>
                <div id='page-title'>$title</div>
                <!-- we don't want the page filename to be shown -->
                <!-- <div id='page-subtitle'>$currentpage</div> -->
                <div id='page-actions'><!--wiki:$Group.PageActions $SiteGroup.PageActions--></div>
            </div>

With the pagename removed, we can also reduce the height of the header itself.
    This involves some image-manipulation besides the tweaks to the css. I can post necessary steps later if we want  to do that.

Eberhard

Arduino rocks
    View Profile

Eberhard.  Thanks for those thoughts.  All good points.  I have incorporate them. I made some more modifications to  support at least down to 800.  Your css formatting edits are included too.  I changed the pre a little bit to match the code formatter a little better.  Just in the margins and padding.

I zipped up the results and posted them here for anyone to try who is able.  If you aren't able, comments will be welcome once its posted as well.
    http://www.arduino.cc/playground/uploads/Main/Modified-Abitmodern-skin.zip

Also, I am on a mac, so anyone who can make sure it still works on firefox or ie on win32, that would be great.
    tim

ps.  just realized my last post smilied those core format tags...  here they are again with smilies off for future reference:

(:source lang=c linenum smiley

and  

(:sourecend smiley

Wuppertal/Germany
    God Member
    View Profile

Hi,
    works fine with Konquerer and Firefox on Linux/KDE.
    A would either center the code-box with some margins (margins-left=2ex;margins-right=2ex;}
    or let ist expand to the full with of the content div (margins-left=0ex;margins-right=0ex;}.

The copyright-notice at the bottom of the page should be turned into a link to the Playground licsence-page. (look for "$SkinCopyright" in file skins/abitzmodern/abitmodern.tmpl)

Eberhard

Arduino rocks
    View Profile

Good eyes.  Unfortunately, I cant seem to massage the css to get the code blocks and 'pre' markup to match.  Any ideas?  I am very novice at css.  Also the wiki doesn't have a license page.  Nor does the main arduino site have anything related.  Instead, should we just remove that all together?  I want to give credit to abitmodern somewhere too.  I'm not sure it belongs on every page though.

Wuppertal/Germany
    God Member
    View Profile

Hi Tim,
    Unfortunately, I cant seem to massage the css to get the code blocks and 'pre' markup to match.  Any ideas?
    I'm not sure I understand your problem.
    Here is the relevant section in abitmodern.css
    Code:
    /* Make monospaced text stand out a bit, in SansSerif fonts */
    #wikitext code {
          font-size:110%;
    }
    /* Put preformatted text in a box with gray background, save some space too with a smaller font*/
    #wikitext pre {
          font-size:90%;
          font-weight:normal;
          color: #0;
            margin-left:2ex;
            margin-right:2ex;
            padding-left:2ex;
            padding-rigth:2ex;
            padding-top:1ex;
            padding-bottom:1ex;

background-color: #eee;
          border-width : thin;
          border-style : solid;
    }
    The css-selector "#wikitext code" applies to the pmwiki-typewriter markup @@sometext@@
    The css-selector "#wikitext pre" applies to the pmwiki-preformatted markup [@sometext@]

The above values center the codebox on the content div, with some margins to play with.

Also the wiki doesn't have a license page.
    I was inspired from this posting by mellis
    http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1194014655
    Where he mentions
    You also need to be willing to publish your work under a Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license.  
    I thought this applies to the whole site?
    If so we could simply place a link to the license page in file "abitmodern.tmpl" like this :
    in
    Code:
    <div id='footer'>
       <!-- replace this one     <div id='footer'>$SkinCopyright</div> with -->
       <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/">Arduino Playgorund License</a>
    </div>
    Instead, should we just remove that all together?  
    There should be some sort of license agreement for the content I think.
    I wouldn't pulish anything these days without a section like this here.
    6. Limitation on Liability. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL LICENSOR BE LIABLE TO YOU ON ANY LEGAL THEORY FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS LICENSE OR THE USE OF THE WORK, EVEN IF LICENSOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
    This is from the CC-License.

Eberhard

Wuppertal/Germany
    God Member
    View Profile

Hi,
    has anybody ever seen a nice icon (open-licensed) suitable for schematics?
    On my page I have a huge schematic in print-resolution and I looking for a nice way to creata a link for it.

Eberhard

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
    Jump to: