Go Down

Topic: REALLY simple wireless? (Read 5773 times) previous topic - next topic

baum

Right now, though, I don't care so much about the frequency, I am just wondering how I could design a circuit to transmit wireless signals, from there I could change the frequency. Could I use a 555 timer, maybe?

Grumpy_Mike

Could I use a 555 timer,

No, not stable enough and will not work at high enough frequency.

Can you take a hint, this project is a non starter, with things like a 555 timer it's not going to be legal even in the US

baum

So it is impossible to do micro free wireless. Alright.

I suppose I can just use on of the rf link units once they come back in stock on sparkfun...

baum

CrossRoads

Sparkfun: don't hold your breath, I have not seen the receivers there since August.
Try the $5 pair, or the next one up.

Want a simple transmitter? Get a "high" voltage, and let it spark to ground - then get a simple AM radio and listen for  the burst of interference that comes in.  Not really practical tho.

If you can make a circuit oscillate, it can be a transmitter, whether intentional or not.
Being able to reliably tune in that transmitter and pick out a piece of data is the hard part.
One way is to have transmitter is transmitting continuously and your receiver tuned into it, and then detect a difference in the signal and report that as different state.
If you're not transmitting  continuously, that makes it harder for the receiver as now it not only has to tune, it has to determine the 2 seperate valid states.
That's the nice part about virtualwire, it takes care of getting enough sent for the receiver to do its job.

Designing RF that works from scratch without tools and the engineering background is very difficult.

Here's a simple thing you can try
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Elec_p024.shtml
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Grumpy_Mike

Get a "high" voltage, and let it spark to ground - then get a simple AM radio and listen for  the burst of interference that comes in.  Not really practical tho.

As well as being not practical, spark transmitters as they are called are illegal in every country in the world.

CrossRoads

Lots of stuff is illegal, doesn't stop people from doing it tho.
I would think not being at all useful would be more of a deterrent.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

CrossRoads

The 434s also, same price
http://www.robotshop.com/433mhz-transmitter-receiver-pair.html

And a High Sensitivity set for 80 cents more, higher data rate
http://www.robotshop.com/433mhz-high-sensitivity-transmitter-receiver-pair-rxa33.html

CrossRoads

And a Seeedstudio version as well for $4.99
http://www.robotshop.com/seeedstudio-433mhz-low-cost-transmitter-receiver-pair-3.html

Gadget999

i have been using that style with the virtualwire library with great success

(I think Marconi used a spark transmitter to transmit the first signal over the atlantic !)

AWOL

I think Marconi used a spark transmitter to transmit the first signal over the atlantic !

I suspect he wasn't too concerned about EMC back then.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

mmcp42

and no-one else was transmitting!
there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

daveg360

Thought they just gave it a cool acronym and reduced the power? (UWB)
If your system involves lethal voltages/life critical/flamable elements - you probably shouldn't need to ask.
The Arduino != PC.

MarkT

If you build a 'simple' RF link and get it wrong you might block emergency services' or aircraft frequencies... This is illegal and irresponsible.  Buy a pre-built approved module (or become a radio amateur and learn to do it properly - less simple)
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

baum

baum

We just got an ad. It showed up on the notification email, not here, though. I guess someone erased it.

I think I really learned from this site a lot of important information and hope this site will be more to do better.
oakley store
oakley prescription
oakley dispatch
cheap oakley sunglasses
cheap oakley
ED Hardy Clothes
ED Hardy Bags

What was the point of that?
And where did they get "oakley" from?!?!?!?!?!?

baum

Go Up