Go Down

Topic: Homebrewery (Learning Arduino) (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

markpeace

Hi all,

I'm currently learning Arduino - automating the beer brewing lab I've got in the loft as a test. Eventually, the project will do the following...

1. Monitor temperature (using thermistors) at mashtun output and boiler output.
2. Activate and de-activate kettle elements in the boiler to maintain temperature.
3. Vary the voltage to a pump in order to change its flow
4. Activate solenoids at various points to redirect the flow or wort and water.
5. Interface with the internet so that I can control everything via a website

At the moment, I'm starting simple - as I've learnt to play with switches, I'll start there; just an array of switches (to be mounted on the front of a cliplock box which contains all the electrics) which will eventually be used to manually control the solenoids (#4) and pump (#5) - and override any web commands (#5).

How does the following look as a circuit plan? I'm guestimating a little bit here, and trying to work out theory whilst planning it.

MarkT

You might want to switch to 0V so Arduino internal pull-ups can be used.  The LED/resistor chains then run from switch terminal to +5V.  Note that an LED isn't a good pull-down in your circuit as it won't conduct below its turn on voltage.

The analog input circuit doesn't make sense - the wiper of the pot goes to the analog input pin, the other pins to 0V and +5V. The LED isn't useful there.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

cyclegadget

Markpeace, is your intention to have the LEDs that are on the inputs light up to show when you are pushing the buttons? Or are you wanting them to stay lit up to indicate a status?

If you have a little more detail on your pumps and solenoids, some people here may be able to recommend a shield or shields that may work for you.

Mark

markpeace

Thanks guys. I really don't know much about all this, so replies like this are really useful in pointing me in directions for learning the next step of stuff (I've worked through some tutorials, but I think working on an actual project might work better for me). I'm off to find out more about pull up and push down resistors now, and will post back with an update soon.

In regards to the other questions...

- the LEDs were originally just to show the switch was on, but now I'm thinking about it, maybe I want a separate status array, so that the LEDs can report on solenoids, etc when it's eventually Internet controlled.

- the pump is this one http://goo.gl/xI51p (it'll be the 14 watt option)

- I was thinking of these solenoids http://goo.gl/XvvBT

Cheers,
Mark

markpeace

Ok, I've done some reading and learning on pull-up resistors. Before I go ahead and redesign, does the following look right to you? I'm trying to build the switches above, but using the internal pullup as suggested above.

The resistor labelled pin31 is the internal pullup resistor (the software I'm using will emulate current flow etc. for me if I do it this way) - and I'm using the following code:

Code: [Select]

void setup()
{
 pinMode(31,INPUT);
 digitalWrite(31,HIGH);
 Serial.begin(9600);
}
void loop()
{
 Serial.println(digitalRead(31));
}

Go Up