Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Strange siutation  (Read 1364 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,

I am currently in the middle of a project and really could use any ones help here!!!!

I am running the Arduino Duemilanove with ATmega168  connected to that is a 4-Channel 5V Relay Module for Arduino. The Arduino is running at 12v and the relays run on connected 5v out from the Arduino allong with the I/O pins which switch it on and off.

I have created tail lights from shiftbrite leds and they work great I have combine them with the 5v I/O relay system which switches the front blinker lights. The blinkers are LEDs that run just a strait 12v on so I use the relays to blink them.
 The problem comes when I connect the 12v power to the relay for the front blinkers ... all of the sudden the shiftbrites go crazy with a ton of noise in them all over?!?! When the front blinkers are not lighting (IE disconnected) the rear shiftbrites work fine?

I have connected the lights all the ways I can switching the +v and switching the -v for the blinkers shielding the shiftbrite signal wires, moving the relay board away form the Arduino grounding the lights in different ways.. hours have flown by with no idea left I need someone smarter than I to get fresh eyes on this situation.

Any Idea is a good one please help...

Thanks in advance

Ablinkin

SF Bay Area
Edison Member
Arduino Ninja
View Profile

Can you draw a schematic of your system?

Unique RGB LED Modules and Arduino shields: http://www.macetech.com/store

View Profile

I will get right on that tomorrow I live in england currently and it is 11 here need to get to bed I will create it and post it for you asap!! I also am running 18 shift brites with a single 5v 2amp converter thought it maybe not enough power ?

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

From the web site it says:-
ShiftBrites require up to 60mA per module when all LEDs are active. The supply voltage should be kept between 5.5 and 9 volts.

So 18 modules would be just over 1 amp. If you have a 2A supply that would be fine.
However have you any decoupling you could try putting capacitors across the power line at the far end.

http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Tutorial/De-coupling.html

View Profile

grumpy_mike that is  good information i will look in to that. macegr, here is the schematic of the system any questions let me know.

not sure how to post pics on this i will attach the image.

* arduinoski.jpg (47.81 KB, 671x513 - viewed 22 times.)

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Sorry but it's not the clearest schematic I have seen. The red block marked 12V, what is this and what are the connections to it? If it is a battery then it appears not to be connected to ground. Same goes for the USB regulated supply.

View Profile

Yes it is the battery + terminal all the positive leads are red and all the negative leads are black all the black leads are tied together through out the car and the - lead is attached to the - on the battery. Sorry for the confusion. Any thing else let me know sorry for the confusion.

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Shiftbrite documentation states it needs a 5.5V to 9V input power.

View Profile

so i went out and got a bigger voltage regulator to 7 volts and it is just doing the same thing only brighter !!! ????  smiley-eek-blue

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

so i went out and got a bigger voltage regulator to 7 volts and it is just doing the same thing only brighter !!! ????  smiley-eek-blue

Whoops.

You don't by chance have your ground on the shiftbrite connected to a ground on one of the lights? They would be best grounded to the chassis as you might be tapped into a wire that gets pushed high to make the lights blink.

View Profile

nope the ground to the shiftbrites is connected directly to the battery - terminal .

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Yes it is the battery + terminal all the positive leads are red and all the negative leads are black all the black leads are tied together through out the car and the

It is conventional to put that sort of information in the schematic with the way it is drawn. That is one connection to the battery with all the other wires going to that point. That way you can see how it is wired.

That schematic is, unfortunately, of little use in seeing how you have wired your system. Imagine all you had was that schematic how would you wire it up. You can't.
For example all I see for the fog lights and so on is a block with some wires going to the arduino. There is no indication about how this is wired, where it gets its power from and how the arduino signals are connected to what to control these lights.

Basically there can be three types of things wrong with your setup:-
1) You have not wired it up as the schematic
2) The schematic is wrong
3) Not enough power capacity or decoupling

However without a schematic that shows where the wires go you just can't tell what is wrong.
Sorry.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: