Go Down

Topic: Eliminating Voltage spikes 100% (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I have this laser diode and instruction manuals tell me that even a short transient, 1ms long will destroy the diode if it exceeds a given voltage. I think the limit was 4.6V or somewhere around there.

How can I 100% make sure that voltage never exceeds some given level, not even for the briefest of moments? What component do I need to use?

Don't ever hook it to anything with a wire and you're still only 99% certain. All electrical components have a failure point. I was a test engineer for GE and did lightinging and static discharge testing. We never expected things to not fail, only to fail in a safe manner.

What component do I need to use?

A Zener diode would work. It will clamp all negative voltages and all positive voltages above it's zener voltage rating.

Look at this site for information on Lasers and their feeding:-

James C4S

1ms is short?

I guess all things are relative...
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

1ms is short?

I guess all things are relative...

Haha I love that fact that I no longer think of that as a short period of time. Thanks LED matrices

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131