Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino standby  (Read 1503 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,
Well, say, we have a photo frame with LEDs around the frame and some elements moving with stepper motors around the frame. There is an IR bumper switch sensing an object came close to the photo frame for some 10cm. I would like to wake up Arduino by this event and only then the whole functionality of the device starts to work.

We can put Arduino in standby mode, ok, but who is then responsible for the IF-THEN-ELSE on the IR sensor, to wake up the Arduino?

Please guide me and if there is any tutorial about this standby concept please point me to it. My knowledge is too much low on this that even googling is hard for the lack of right keywords.

Thank you.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Can your IR sensor be setup to output a low level signal when something is close? If, use that to create an external interrupt on D2 or D3 (on Uno for example) to wake up from power down sleep mode.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Can your IR sensor be setup to output a low level signal when something is close? If, use that to create an external interrupt on D2 or D3 (on Uno for example) to wake up from power down sleep mode.

Well I've not implement it yet but only chose it. I want to DIY it, but currently still can't imagine how to design so that in sleep mode really only IR eats the battery. Would appreciate any hint.

This is my choice of IR bumper switch:

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

So you've got TSAL6200 transmitting pulses at 36 KHz all the time and TSOP1736 waiting for something to get close enough to reflect back to TSOP1736
so that its open collector output gets pulled to let the uC know something is close? Is that the idea?

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/vishay/81010.pdf
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/208/301092_DS.pdf

The TSAL6200 seems to need 100mA pulses, will dwarf the little but of current the uC needs to generate those pulses and the mA the receiver needs all the time.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

...Is that the idea?

yes well I got this example from here:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/files/TSOP2.pdf
and you can see the code there, but I won't use the uC, but will use Arduino as coding would be easier then  smiley-grin

so, would you please suggest a way to turn this module to a wake up mechanism for Arduino? (of course, without the uC that is used on the example)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

I don't think the Arduino will need to be woken up - it needs to be awake to run the code that makes 36 KHz pulses for the transmitter.

"For this IR bumper two MCU pins are required. One pin is used to generate 36KHz square wave bursts 20-30 pulses each. Another pin is used to monitor
output of TSOP."

So you will arduino in place of the Atmega8, which is very similar to the Atmega328 used in the arduino by the way.  The code listed will even work since they are the same uC family.

If you don't want the arduino to create the 36KHz, then you will need another source for pulses, perhaps a 556 dual timer, one part of it making the 36 KHz, the other part of it controlling the on/off bursts of the 36Khz. Then your receiver will put out a low signal when it receieves a burst of light.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

If you don't want the arduino to create the 36KHz, then you will need another source for pulses, perhaps a 556 dual timer...

Does that helps minimize power loss? I think so!

You know, I eventually want to make a photo frame that has some movements if someone comes close to it. There are stepper motors embedded, I'd like to put relay and try to learn how to minimize power consumption based on this project. Could you please suggest any tutorial, book or other material that may have supporting material in this direction?

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Here's a good circuit with a 555 timer generating the pulses: http://www.robotroom.com/Infrared555.html

I'd recommend cranking down the current on your IR led. I think you'll find that even 10ma through it will be enough for your IR receiver to detect it. You'll also want to consider that you'll be flooding a room with IR pulses and that might confuse your TV, etc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: