We had a nice chat about the future of arduino both from my personal point of view ad the grassroot work that people are doing
* The Arduino roadmap includes new boards with speciality functions, including GPS, ethernet, ZigBee wireless, and cellular wireless.
See ladyada gps and xport/matchport shield, the libellium zigbee and gsm modules, many people doing ethernet now
* The next generation of Arduino core boards will include Atmel's AtMega line with 64 I/O pins and 256k of memory.
this is a pretty obvious evolution looking at what people are doing with porting arduino to new cores and we are working to integrate that into the official release of the IDE
* After that, the project will move to Atmel's 32-bit line of chips.
This is more about my personal point of view of what is a natural evolution which doesn't require too much architectural changes.
* People are considering implementing a proper debugger on the current Arduino platform, which would be great
I had a nice chat with a couple of people at FooCamp about improving the debugging side of arduino..personally I think we should use the popularity of arduino to push atmel to open the debugwire protocol that would allow the creation of a debugger inside arduino.
* Arduino could be ported to the ARM chips pretty easily, although there are no plans to do so at the moment
actually i think someone is working on it now.. (not me)
Phil, there are no roadmaps.. i was having a chat with an arduino supporter, from geek to geek but he's also a journalist
Wired is investigating the world of open hardware which I think it's good recognition for the work we all have been doing, arduino team, contributors, supporters and all the users.
PS: Tinker.it is made of 2 people who are part of Arduino but it doesn't represent Arduino and works a lot on things that are not Arduino related, like design projects and light projects. So when I speak to somebody it's a bit difficult to have a clear differentiation between massimo the professor of interaction design, massimo the geek, massimo the co-founder of arduino, massimo the CTO of tinker.it , massimo the italian etc etc etc