Go Down

Topic: Open source Project / Hardware (Read 17 times) previous topic - next topic

Daniel abib

Hello, My Friends.

It's my first time discussing about a open source project/hardware and I'd like understand how it works, it means, if I create a tool, machine, device using Arduino, what do I have to do related with commercial or legal aspects?

I've been working with open source software and tools, but never with a hardware component.

My e-mail address is daniel.abib@itelefonica.com.br

Thanks for any help.  ;)
In a world without a fence, who needs gates?
.... It's a open world.... Let's share.... Arduino Rules....

mrmeval

Jul 13, 2007, 02:46 am Last Edit: Jul 13, 2007, 08:27 am by mrmeval Reason: 1
The hardware is under a creative commons license but I'm unclear how the IDE is licensed nor how that effects the resulting binaries. I'm also unsure of the boot loaders license.

The Creative Commons license  seems allow selling it as long as you give the buyer the same rights you had to the hardware.

I am unclear if this means you must share source code or only have to give the binary program.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/

This is a good question.  

Hello, My Friends.

It's my first time discussing about a open source project/hardware and I'd like understand how it works, it means, if I create a tool, machine, device using Arduino, what do I have to do related with commercial or legal aspects?

I've been working with open source software and tools, but never with a hardware component.

My e-mail address is daniel.abib@itelefonica.com.br

Thanks for any help.  ;)

If it was designed by man it can be repaired by man.

Daniel abib

Hey,

Thanks for your help.

As I told before, it's clear how it works with software, but not with hardware.

But after some research in Arduino hardware, and also in others studyboards, I realize that I don't need use the same structure (project) used by Arduino because it's more complex then my requirements.

Anyway, thanks for your help.  :D

Regards,
Daniel.
In a world without a fence, who needs gates?
.... It's a open world.... Let's share.... Arduino Rules....

mellis

To provide a bit more information in case anyone is curious: the IDE itself is licensed under the GPL, while the Arduino libraries that your sketch is linked against are licensed under the LGPL.  This means that if you make and distribute changes to the IDE or the libraries, you need to also share the source code to those changes.  You do not, however, have to share the source code of your programs.  

Daniel

Jul 13, 2007, 09:51 pm Last Edit: Jul 13, 2007, 10:06 pm by Daniel Reason: 1
hi Mellis,

what about the hardware? it is an interesting kind of grey zone as only the designs for Arduino are released under the CC license.
For example, is the current NG board and its production files, as produced by PCB Europe,  proprietary or open? I was always curious about this question. It would be good to clarify it as people are sometimes asking for the files ( as in another recent post on the forum), but there is rarely a response on this.

D

edit: I ask this because i have noticed that the current PCB production files for things like the Arduino NG, the mini, the Arduino BT are never released or available while the boards are shipping. If you check the hardware page, the provided files are always the older, out-of-distribution designs. This may be OK, but it would be good to clarify it, as the Arduino project is generically publicized as an "open-source" project where one is sometimes encouraged to "build your own", however this is impossible under the current design unless you design the PCB yourself, or reverse-engineer what has been already done. So I guess the simple question is why are the production files for currently shipping boards  never made available? And I ask that as a great Arduino supporter, not to be a pain in the ass :)

Go Up