Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: hope I didnt fry my crystal.  (Read 556 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So I was building a breadboard arduino with the atmega328 and I think i sorta maybe connected one of the capacitors from the clock crystal to the 5v rail instead of the ground. I'm pretty sure it is fried because the led blinks starting slow then speeds up really fast and the shuts off until i reset it. Is it possible that I may have fried the atmega also? I was also using a max 232 chip. Do I just need to buy a new crystal and all is well?

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

If you connected the ground side of the capacitor to +5V instead of ground the circuit would still work fine - +5V is the same as ground from a high-frequency AC perspective.

Perhaps you shorted one side of the crystal to +5V?  If this was the crystal oscillator output pin that could damage the chip.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Can you install the atmega into an Uno or something and confirm sketches will still upload?
If so, write a sketch to change the LED blink behavior. Upload it, test that it works in the Uno, and put the chip back in the breadboard. If that runs, would be a good indication the breadboard parts are fine.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

They are ceramic capacitors so polarity doesn't matter right? Unfortunately I have the SMD Uno version. Guess I will have to try buying the pieces again and see what still works. Here is a picture of what I did.
I think what happened was I was following 2 tutorials on breadboard arduino, and the rails were different on both tutorials. Lesson learned I guess.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

That one miswiring should have caused no problems or damage. Caps block DC, so no current passed through the cap to the crystal. Move it to ground as it should be and check for loose connections.

In building Arduinos remember to always measure twice and cut once.  smiley-wink

Lefty

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: