Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: I2C buffer limit  (Read 1766 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Can someone edit the library reference page to make it clear that there's a hard-coded 32byte limit on I2C message sizes? I had to google around ambiguously before I found that info on a blog somewhere.

As an aside, would it be difficult to make the buffer size configurable? I imagine it's limited to save memory, but in this case I'd be happy to spare the memory to avoid having to write a multi-transaction wrapper to get my bytes through.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

The " #define BUFFER_LENGTH 32 " is located in the Wire.h file in your arduino core folder. I'm sure you could edit it to a larger size to meet your requirements. Note that this is used twice, once for a rec buffer and once for a transmit buffer so go easy on size increase.

Lefty

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Note that this is used twice, once for a rec buffer and once for a transmit buffer so go easy on size increase.
Earlier this week, it was mentioned that there are some intermediate buffers, too, for a total of 5 buffers that size. Seems overkill to me, but I haven't looked at the code to see if it is true, and, if so, necessary.

Worcester, MA
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Note that this is used twice, once for a rec buffer and once for a transmit buffer so go easy on size increase.
Earlier this week, it was mentioned that there are some intermediate buffers, too, for a total of 5 buffers that size. Seems overkill to me, but I haven't looked at the code to see if it is true, and, if so, necessary.
The second one is in twi.h   

I2C GPS Shield

Checkout my Open Source GPS Tracker on Kickstarter

London
Faraday Member
Have fun!
View Profile

The second one is in twi.h   

the buffers are defined in twi.c

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: