Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: H bridge circuit  (Read 1654 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have a DC motor that i want to control with arduino trough H bridge. Here's my vision about it's hardware:
Two digital output pins from arduino go to input pins of  MC34152 ( 2 channel mosfet driver http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MC34152-D.PDF ). Output pins of MC34152 go directly to MOSFET's Gate like they are connected in picture below (in picture there are bipolar transistors + resistors, never mind those):

If one output in arduino goes high motor starts turning to one direction, if other input goes high motor goes opposite direction, if both inputs are high or low motor doesn't turn. So it's also 'smokless'. Any suggestions or ideas about it ?

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

During switch-over the transistors are briefly pulling a much larger current of course...  This won't scale well as these shoot-through spikes get to be more of a problem at higher powers.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

View Profile

Yes when drivers output goes from high to low or opposite then during that time both fet's are somewhat open (not fully but still). But because of 'specialized' mosfet driver, this time is very short (nanoseconds). If PWM was used with this circuit then it's possible that it would generate excess heat.

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

Your circuit looks good to me. The current spikes shouldn't be too large using MOSFETs because these often have a gate threshold voltage around 2.5 volts anyway.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: