Go Down

Topic: my server is dying!!!! (Read 133 times) previous topic - next topic

travis_farmer

so, went to log into my server, and every command i tried could not be found! have i been hacked? i can't imagine a hard-drive failure, as they are both fairly new. i just moved everything over to my server for a backup!!! man i can't handle this crap right now.
whatever went wrong, i shut my server down until i can get to it directly. i am really freaked out right now. i know i blocked my SMTP server from outside traffic, so that shouldn't have been the entry point. all i can say is WTF!!!  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

~Travis
Current Obsession: Photography, astronomy, server rack cooler.
Check out my website, i have my own very under-used forum on my hobby server.

Qdeathstar

Your ISP could have shut it down, eg, block the connections. Some ISPs TOS blocks you from hosting services....
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

travis_farmer

Your ISP could have shut it down, eg, block the connections. Some ISPs TOS blocks you from hosting services....
they don't have access to shut it down. it is on my own network, and i was connecting to it directly via SSH (Secure SHell, an encrypted remote command terminal), when i noticed none of the commands worked anymore. then i shut it down to preserve data. i will isolate it and see what i can diagnose, as soon as i finish my coffee.

~Travis

GrooveFlotilla

Where should we send the flowers?
Per Arduino ad Astra

TKall

What is the point of having your own server?  Aren't there companies that do this well for a reasonable price?

travis_farmer

Where should we send the flowers?
i could post my paypal address for monetary flowers ;)

What is the point of having your own server?  Aren't there companies that do this well for a reasonable price?
what's the point of having an arduino? aren't there tech companies that make electronic products at a reasonable price? ;)

~Travis

TKall

Exactly.  And the Arduino is the analog to the outside server.  A while back I was considering having a server set up for my business but after seeing the problems you have been experiencing, I decided to scrap the idea.  It's like, I want to watch TV...not build a TV.  I want to have data/information on a server, not expend a ton of effort fighting off hackers. 

So I was just asking, what is the point of having your own server?  What is the benefit?

travis_farmer

i am quickly wondering the same thing. perhaps i will reduce it to network only traffic, and drop my host name. i loved having it, being able to serve my own content, but apparently even the best laid plans, lay to waste. it would have been neat to host my own internet radio, but maybe not.

though, the internet radio software was small. maybe i can just reduce the server to only the radio station, with no real data on the server, if i suffer a loss, it is far easier to just rebuild it. with one service only, it reduces the likelihood of failure.

now, my internet radio software was Icecast2, anybody here know if it is a safe service? IOW, what are the known security risks? i personally haven't found any... although a second look brought up THIS. well, if the only thing on my server is Icecast, i can just create a backup of the whole thing, and repair as needed... still fairly bummed. i had such high hopes for my server, and some whiny A** diaper filling script kiddy had to ruin it, just for something to do.  >:(  >:(  >:(

~Travis

TKall

I think hackers should be executed.

travis_farmer

I think hackers should be executed.
i think you are right, but perhaps that is too soft. maybe tortured to death, revived, then tortured some more, ect...  >:(

~Travis

msssltd

I want to have data/information on a server, not expend a ton of effort fighting off hackers. 

So I was just asking, what is the point of having your own server?  What is the benefit?
You lean how to fight off the hackers :D

msssltd

Travis.  Do you still have your bin sbin directories?  Have you checked your environment variables have not been corrupted?

TKall

You lean how to fight off the hackers
That's fine if it is all you have to do all day. 

travis_farmer

Travis.  Do you still have your bin sbin directories?  Have you checked your environment variables have not been corrupted?

i haven't touched it yet. too pissed to concentrate. i will check tomorrow, when i have the time.
could be possible though... i made a change to $PATH when Java wasn't executing correctly... thanks for that thought, it will be the first on my list of things to check. i don't remember all the bin/sbin $PATH entry's off hand... if i have to fix them.

~Travis

Go Up