Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Learning eagle  (Read 3099 times)
Vejen, Denmark
Edison Member
RAWR! ^,..,^
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

One problem left... With the polygons, I am getting a "Width" error on the first line I draw on them, when I check it against the dru file.

What can cause that?

captain-slow.dk | non contagious!

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Ok, just post the schematic one more time please.
Also, please check the Tab of the 7805 - that will sit on the plane on the board. If the Tab is not ground, you will need to place a rectangle under it that will let the tab be isolated from the ground plane.
If you are bringing in >5V, you would bring in GND also - I stil suggest making that 3rd pin GND.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Vejen, Denmark
Edison Member
RAWR! ^,..,^
View Profile

Got the problem fixed... Was a with in the polygons that caused the error.

For future reference, did "Info" on the polygons, and selected a larger width.

Think I got it isolated and all... and if not... I still got some small isolation things exactly for that purpose, even with special washers to isolate the bolt too.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Did  you decide not to add the FTDI connections?

Is pretty simple, follow the pinout used on a Promini.

http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/Arduino-Pro-Mini-schematic.pdf

Need to add a 0.1uF (100nF) cap from the DTR pin to the reset line so PC software can create a reset.  Some people don't like that, so can make the cap connection jumperable as well.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Vejen, Denmark
Edison Member
RAWR! ^,..,^
View Profile

Yeah, skipped the FTDI, got no need for it anyways... got another test thing where I can upload the sketch and test everything before putting the chip into the other device, and when it is in, I won't be able to get to it easily anyways, plus it is pretty simple what it is going to to too, so not much changing when it works. smiley

Tried to order them now... And will then learn from the problems when I get the boards smiley-wink

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Sounds like you have a plan then.

Vejen, Denmark
Edison Member
RAWR! ^,..,^
View Profile

Sounds like you have a plan then.
Yeah, I just hope it wont lead to total failure. smiley-wink

But thanks for all the help! smiley-grin

Leighton Buzzard, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

I'm impressed
just a few days ago "what's this EAGLE then?"
today "I've ordered the boards"

well done you!

there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

Vejen, Denmark
Edison Member
RAWR! ^,..,^
View Profile

I'm impressed
just a few days ago "what's this EAGLE then?"
today "I've ordered the boards"

well done you!
Apparently I got just the info needed to "see the light" in it smiley

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Ok, now the tricky bit - draw a polygon (button looks like a piece of paper with top left corner torn off - click a corner follow the perimiter of the board, must finish up where started or will get "illegal poygon" error or similar), name it GND, on both sides of the board.  Your thru holes will connect them.
Click the Rubberband button, and let eagle connect everything up to GND.  May even be to "ripup" the ground traces.

Have been playing with ground planes/polygons, all seems well, but once everything is routed, I like to ripup the polygons to make everything else easier to see.  Interesting that running the CAM job on the board in this state (attached) works fine, and all the "unconnected" pads get connected to the ground plane just fine.

I added the ground planes last, and found that I could ripup previously routed ground traces as you said.  In fact, I'd suggest doing so.  Haven't tried it, but maybe adding the ground plane polygons first would be the way to go...

* pcb.png (41.23 KB, 780x693 - viewed 14 times.)

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Yes, I find if you don't have the ground plane, a lot of space is wasted with ground traces running around.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: