Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: millis() overflow -- what happens???  (Read 1458 times)
South East USA
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I often use millis() to do certain things every few seconds.  Like the following example:
(LCDtime is unsigned long)
Code:
    if (millis() - LCDtime > 3000) { //Has it been 3 seconds yet?
        LCDtime = millis(); //update the timer
        UpdateLCD(); // Change the LCD messege
    }

Doesn't Millis() eventually overflow and return to zero?  Will this code still function, or will it no longer update the LCD every 3 seconds?
I do lots of different things with this style...

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

As long as you perform a subtraction operation on the time interval test calculation (as you do in your example), the 'rollover' situation at 55 days (or so) is handled fine. There was a 'famous' posting here in the past explaining how the subtraction overflow bit handles the roll over condition just fine as long as you use subtraction for your time interval test calculation.

Lefty

Netherlands
God Member
A naughty mind is a joy forever.
View Profile

I'd guess it would just continue counting as it should. In the example below I used a fake millis() counter, same variable type, starting at 20 secs before overrun (2^32).

Code:
unsigned long virtualmillis;
unsigned long LCDtime = 0;
void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
}
void loop (){
  // fake counter, to not have
  // to wait 50 days
  virtualmillis = millis() + 4294947296; 
  if (virtualmillis - LCDtime > 3000) {
    //Has it been 3 seconds yet?
    LCDtime = virtualmillis; //update the timer
    //UpdateLCD(); // Change the LCD messege
    Serial.print ("LCDtime : ");
    Serial.print(LCDtime);
    Serial.print (", virtualmillis : ");
    Serial.println(virtualmillis);         
  }

}

South East USA
God Member
View Profile

Good to know!

Australia
Arduino rocks
View Profile

There was a 'famous' posting here in the past explaining how the subtraction overflow bit handles the roll over condition just fine as long as you use subtraction for your time interval test calculation.

If this is the post you're referring to, then I'll take that as high praise indeed.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

There was a 'famous' posting here in the past explaining how the subtraction overflow bit handles the roll over condition just fine as long as you use subtraction for your time interval test calculation.

If this is the post you're referring to, then I'll take that as high praise indeed.

Yes, you and Coding Badly nailed the dirty details for that one. However due to passing time, Arduino reference docs that still talk about the 'roll over' interval, etc the subject still comes up from time to time. Probably an indication that the subject and proven solution should be made either a stick or included in the 'official' Arduino reference for the millis() function.

Lefty

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Probably an indication that the subject and proven solution should be made either a stick

Great idea!

Let's finish the first sticky.  Pick a set and post comments...
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,67509.0.html

Australia
Arduino rocks
View Profile

... Arduino reference docs that still talk about the 'roll over' interval, etc the subject still comes up from time to time. Probably an indication that the subject and proven solution should be made either a stick or included in the 'official' Arduino reference for the millis() function.

Totally OT, but I have the same uneasy feeling about the use of delay(). The number of posts where an OP is looking for a solution to "doing two things at once" is very high. I wonder whether the use of delay() should be discouraged. I would go so far as to suggest delay() should be considered an advanced technique on par with goto.

Perhaps the subject of a separate thread...

Victoria, BC, Canada
View Profile

Two things you might want to consider as well:

* This only works if the delay interval is less than rollover - for example, if you use microseconds, and expect to time things >70 seconds, then you might miss a complete rollover from time to time.

* Are there cases where optimizing of the compiler affect the if statement? Not sure, but I'd put parenthesis around it just in case:

Code:
if ( (millis()-LCDtime) > 3000)

Global Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Optimizing won't affect operation order. Operator precedence can't be optimized into some other precedence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operators_in_C_and_C%2B%2B

The precedence for addition/subtraction is higher than less-than/greater-than, so you are OK.

http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Please post technical questions on the forum - not to me by personal message. Thanks a lot.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

The point is that the optimizer _knows_ that a - b > c is different from a > c + b for 2's complement arithmetic.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: