Go Down

Topic: Evolution UC-16 Controller - Easier to interface, USB or MIDI? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

PDF of Device Information: Here

I have this nice multi-knob and button controller by Evolution called the U-Control UC-16.  It has a USB and a MIDI-out connection as well as a 12V power connector.

My question is, what would be the "less troublesome" way to interface with this device?  Not yet looking for code examples, as I do want to try my hand at that part first.  Just opinions on what interface method is preferred between USB and MIDI-out

MIDI, for sure. This controller is a USB slave device, which means that it needs to be plugged into a USB host device for the USB port to work. Now, making a USB host device on an Arduino is a big project, whereas a MIDI receiver is quite straightforward. IIRC, it's just a 5-pin DIN socket, an optocoupler and a few resistors. The Arduino's serial port can be set to the MIDI baud rate with just:

Code: [Select]
Serial.begin (31250);

An optocoupler is sometimes called an optoisolator; it's just an LED and a phototransistor in an opaque package, usually 6-pin. There's a ready-made MIDI shield available, too.

There is a nice USB Host shield with library available. Having said that, MIDI is probably a lot easier to program.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131