Go Down

Topic: sanity check on C++ library and attachInterrupt (Read 928 times) previous topic - next topic

pschimpf

Hoping someone will sanity check an approach I'm using for writing a library. First, I discovered by trial and error (and have seen some similar posts) that using C++ is least troublesome for writing library modules.  I tried doing it in C (.c files) first and got some errors.  So I rewrote the library in C++ and it works seamlessly ...

except for the following little hiccup.  My library needs to install an interrupt service routine using attachInterrupt().  I also discovered, not too surprisingly, that the function pointer passed to attachInterrupt() must use C linkage.   So I used extern "C" for the ISR function and put everything else in a class.  It thus seems I cannot avoid using .cpp files and extern "C" when putting an ISR in a library module.  Seems to me it would make more sense to simply use .c files but that didn't work for me for the regular function calls.

This is a bit confusing, because while .pde code is written in C style, it appears that it uses C++ linkage (why else would I have trouble calling C functions but not C++ member functions?). On the other hand I can put an ISR in a .pde file no problem.  Does the Arduino preprocessor
realize that arguments to attachInterrupt must be C-style and automatically attach extern "C" to their declarations before passing the code onto the gpp compiler, but only if that ISR function appears in a .pde file (iow, it leaves library files untouched)? 

PaulS

This is a bit confusing, because while .pde code is written in C style, it appears that it uses C++ linkage

Your .pde file is transformed into a .cpp file before the C++ compiler is invoked. So, it is not surprising that C++ linkage is used.

I tried doing it in C (.c files) first and got some errors.

It could be done in a .c file, if you use the extern "C" modifier appropriately. Using the .cpp extension is just easier.

I also discovered, not too surprisingly, that the function pointer passed to attachInterrupt() must use C linkage.

Not true. It must be not be a member function, though.

pschimpf

Ah, thanks Paul.  I took the extern "C" off my ISRs and it still works.  That solves the mystery
for me.  Duh, I don't know why I jumped all the way to C linkage instead of just to a global
function when I got the error installing the ISR.  I'm about to post another question about
interrupts, maybe you can answer that one too!  :-)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy