Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Too many pins for arduino uno? Newbie question  (Read 1407 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, I see that many glcd have 20 pins, but how does that work out when arduino uno only have from 2-13 on the left side?
I have been trying all day wiring a lcd but it wont work and I don't have any pins over for several importent pins my lcd needs.

Or have I been doing it wrong all time? Shall I wiring some pins on my broadboard (except gnd/5v)

Best regards!

View Profile

And there is another thing I am wondering about.

If I hook up a lcd (which will take all my empty pins) how could I then hook up another thing like a led, sd reader, or just something that also needs alot of pins?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

The Analog pins A0-A5 can be accessed as D14-D19 also, so you have 6 more.

You could always step up to a bigger board?
I make/sell one with 10 more IO, SD card, real time clock, RS232 driver for 2nd serial port, and takes regular shields. $80 with USPS flatrate shipping to your US location.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Hi, I see that many glcd have 20 pins, but how does that work out when arduino uno only have from 2-13 on the left side?
I have been trying all day wiring a lcd but it wont work and I don't have any pins over for several importent pins my lcd needs.

Or have I been doing it wrong all time? Shall I wiring some pins on my broadboard (except gnd/5v)

Best regards!

Only 13 arduino io pins are needed for the glcd. The rest are not connected to arduino io pins. Besides, if you are just starting with arduino and/or display, you may want to check out a character display. It is dead easy to hook up and uses only 6 pins. Starting with graphic display will not be best.

CrossRoads,

Your latest board looks pretty nice. You should really set up some sort of web page to list its specs and maybe a couple of sample codes.
If you need online store to host your designs, inmojo.com is not bad at all. People from all over the world come buy stuff there and the site could use a few new merchandises. Just tell them I sent you there smiley-wink
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 01:14:09 am by liudr » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Thanks liudr, that's encouraging.
Right now I am working on the first batch of 10. Have 4-5 sketches that I checked them out with. Too busy to do much else with them at the moment. Darn day job gets in the way, and I am chasing some contract design work down at night.
I'll do a link tomorrow with the card a file of features.
One of the first buyers got his working tonight, there  was 1 more file needed that I hadn't provided, he sent me the error & I had to think about which file fixed that. So now all are located in 1 zip file with directions, ready go to.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

Thanks for the help!

liudr, which pins shall not be connected directly on the arduino uno board?
CrossRoads, unfortunately I think that board is to big for my model.

Best regards!

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Yes, at 60mm x 100mm it is a little bigger than a Duemilanove/Uno.
Those extra parts have to go somewhere - either up, or out.

Hmm, what happened to the "add attachments" feature under Additional Options??

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Thanks for the help!

liudr, which pins shall not be connected directly on the arduino uno board?
CrossRoads, unfortunately I think that board is to big for my model.

Best regards!

That depends on which display type you have.  Do this tutorial:
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/GLCDks0108

Dallas, TX USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

We are assuming you have a ks0108 type display.
Is that the case?

If so you can also download the latest glcd v3 library and look over the included documentation.
It is quite complete, in both pdf and searchable/linkable html formats:
http://code.google.com/p/glcd-arduino/downloads/list
And has diagrams of how to wire up the panel so that it will work with
the library.

One word of caution. Make sure you have an accurate datasheet and make sure
you don't just try to hook things up using any sort of "trial and error" method
as incorrectly connecting wires can burn up the glcd or the Arduino board.

If you aren't sure about the wiring, just ask questions, and folks will readily help out.

Also, if you find that you want/need to use a ks0108 glcd and still need additional pins
for other devices that the UNO can't supply, have a look at the Teensy boards:
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/
IMHO, they are by far the most cost effective way to get more resources for arduino
projects if you are not needing to use an arduino shield.
The Teensy boards have more of just about everything, pins, RAM, FLASH, eeprom and even
support USB natively. The native USB allows many interesting applications that are not
possible with most other Arduino type boards.

The glcd v3 library also supports Teensy "out of the box" as well.

--- bill
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 02:49:48 am by bperrybap » Logged

View Profile

Thanks for all the help and the other board wasn't so much bigger then the arduino:)
Hmm Teensy board look very interesting!

Actually the lcd is an RT12864J-1 but that not the point. The thing is that I can figure it out how to connect all the pings when arduino dosn't support it?
This is what I want to do: Connect keypad to arduino. Let me type in some numbers, then the LCD shall print out the numbers. But right now I am happy just to get lcd wired up and printing out the glcd big demo.

Best regards and thank you all for the help!

Dallas, TX USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Thanks for all the help and the other board wasn't so much bigger then the arduino:)
Hmm Teensy board look very interesting!

Actually the lcd is an RT12864J-1 but that not the point. The thing is that I can figure it out how to connect all the pings when arduino dosn't support it?
This is what I want to do: Connect keypad to arduino. Let me type in some numbers, then the LCD shall print out the numbers. But right now I am happy just to get lcd wired up and printing out the glcd big demo.

Best regards and thank you all for the help!
The lcd you have is a ks0108 glcd. The glcd v3 library will talk to that display using your UNO board.
It takes 13 to 14 pins to do it. That leaves 4 to 5 pins free for other use.
The ks0108 playground page and the glcd v3 documentation describes how to hook it up.
You can see photos of one hooked up to older arduino boards which has the same headers & pins as
your board on both the playground page and in included documentation (pdf and HTML)
that comes with the library.

I'm not sure what type of keypad you have and how many pins it needs.
For testing, you could read characters from the serial port and use the terminal monitor in the IDE
to send characters to the UNO for display on the glcd.
Your sketch would simply read the serial port and then send the characters to the glcd library
which will display them on the display.
However, I don't think the IDE will send any characters until you hit <CR> or <ENTER>

--- bill

View Profile

Guys just want to thank you all, with your help I realised that I will have to upgrade to Arduino Mega and now I finally hooked up my glcd:)
Best regards!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: