Go Down

Topic: (Newbie) LCD was working - now blank (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

DaveInSanFran

Could be a hardware failure or MCU onboard the serial display stuck on a strange state.

That's my fear.  My arsenal of electronics supplies (and knowledge) is very small, thus the appeal of solderless breadboards, arduino, and simple TTL connections.  I was excited that it worked so easily at first, but now I'd kill for a second device to continue with.  (I live right near Jameco's main office, so I can grab new stuff at a moment's notice - but only M-F 9-5.)  This display wasn't cheap, but it was convenient.

The serial phi-panel has 20X4 display, 0-9 keys, directional keys, enter and esc, 4 LEDs, 4 general outputs, a buzzer that can plan any tone, everything controlled by Serial.print more or less ANSI sequences, and option to power itself with voltage regulator and ac adapter.

Sounds right up my alley!  I'll look it up! Thanks again and wish me luck.  Hopefully someone else has seen similar failures as mine and can offer additional tips.

wildbill

The datasheet says that you can change the baud rate and that this will be 'saved in system menu' and that it will revert to default if you select I2C or SPI modes using the jumpers. That kind of implies that a baud rate change will survive power cycling. Is it possible that you inadvertently changed the baud rate on the device?

DaveInSanFran

There is a good possibility of that if an incorrect escape code was sent.  However, I did try power cycling with the I2C jumper set and then again with it removed (as a feeble attempt to reset to defaults.)  Not super convenient as the board only has tiny solder points there and no physicial jumper block.  I'll step through some different baud rates and see if I can't stumble across one that responds.

(I don't believe I did anything to damage the board.  The last thing I saw was a series of characters scroll through the panel before it went blank.  I've been fighting with it ever since.)

Go Up