Go Down

Topic: "Arduino Mega" photos up on lusorobotica.com (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

darudude

What matters is the value, not only the price.

Let's say you have a $30 Arduino, but you need 1 additional serial port and 10 I/O ports...  Hmmm... problem can be solved adding i2c to UART chips, softserial, i2c to GPIO, multiplexing, charlieplexing (or whatever it is called) but you need to dedicate more time to program, more time to debug.  How much is it worth having those extra features in ONE single board?

If you don't need the additional features, then even $35 is expensive compared to a $30 Arduino... if you enjoy having all the features to play with, then HA!  priceless.  

But thats exactly my point. With the current 328 I could daisy chain a few multiplexers and implement software serial and I'd be able to have the same amount of outputs and UARTs as the 1280. And like you said all this can be done under $5. (I do argue however your point about programming, with the extensive libraries and examples available, this point is quashed)

The real benifit is the small form factor, and being able to do all the above within 1 chip. The question is, at what price does the ability to do all the above in 1 chip, not become feasible anymore?

For me this point around the $50 mark +-15%. Anything more and I'll have to stick with multiplexing and software serial till the method becomes more effective

kg4wsv

could daisy chain a few multiplexers and implement software serial and I'd be able to have the same amount of outputs and UARTs as the 1280.

Sorry, but there is a huge difference between software serial and a real hardware UART.

I'm not knocking any software serial implementation (or the idea in general) but the real thing is lots better if you can get it.

-j

Oracle

Sorry, but there is a huge difference between software serial and a real hardware UART.

His attitude is why the PIC16F84 stayed popular for so long.

darudude

Mar 19, 2009, 04:59 am Last Edit: Mar 19, 2009, 04:59 am by darudude Reason: 1
oh i completely understand the benifits of multiple hardware UARTs and the limitations of software serial, eg. asyncronous communication. I just think $50 is the point at which the MEGA doesn't become cost effective anymore if I need another UART for trivial purposes, eg. interfacing a lcd with serial backpack. If the price is past $50, software serial becomes more viable for me and most users of the serial port.

His attitude is why the PIC16F84 stayed popular for so long.
I loved this chip and still have projects around the house that use this ;D
It was what introduced me to embedded electronics, with its wide assortment of examples, much like the arduino is doing for beginners today.

I can't believe you are taking jabs at me because im advocating software serial. I have used the sanguino in the past when I absolutely needed another hardware UART, however, I still reccomend software serial for most solutions.

Also without software serial, projects like Luminet (adapting the Attiny to Arduino IDE) wouldn't be possible

freeduino.de

i just fried my atmega on my freeduino board, which means i have to replace it for 3 dollar. no big deal. just think about if that happens on the mega board.

just saying that as a beginner you might want to keep that in mind, cause i can hear the first people saying "i'm lucky i did not order my first arduino board, so that now i can get this much cooler board".
as a beginner it takes a while until you fully use all the ports and memory space on the normal arduino. so i would not suggest beginners to start with a mega board. and i guess it was not designed for beginner.

for an experienced user this is a great board, no question.

nkcelectronics

I agree with bara.munchies, the Arduino MEGA is for intermediate to advanced users.  I've heard someone say: "You don't learn how to drive a car with a Porsche"... well, the MEGA is a Porsche

retrolefty

Mar 19, 2009, 07:10 am Last Edit: Mar 19, 2009, 07:11 am by retrolefty Reason: 1
"You don't learn how to drive a car with a Porsche"... well, the MEGA is a Porsche

Finally a Porshe I can afford.  ;)

Lefty

peter247

I do agree that this broad is not going to be for everyone and every project, but it is ideal for those projects where you would have to jump to a different platform.

There is a price point, but for most people like myself this is hobby, and price makes no sence.
Look at the price of the Gps module , you can get a full sat nav for less.

One of my projects I have just finished is a Led clock , which when you work to price of the chips etc, I have paid about £40 for a clock which I could have got from pound land.  

I think that if this broad had 10 hardware uarts you know that 99.9% of all users are only going to find use for 2.

MikMo

The real benefit  is the increased RAM and flash memory. The 1K (now 2) RAM limit has been the bottleneck for many Arduino projects, more than I/O has. And the ekstra HW serial ports are going to be a godsend. Softserial is good for many things but it's lack of speed and a Serial.available() function is often a problem.

The downside to this is that it is probably not going to be easy to make a stand alone 128 processor board. With the standard Arduinos, you can prototype a project, and when it's working you can you can take a 4$ Atmega processor and a handfull of components and make your project and still have your Arduino board for the next project.

This possibility is probably going to dissaper with the mega board.

But anyways, i'm really looking forward to the mega.

darudude

Yup the RAM of the 1280 makes me drool!

While building a MEGA on a breadboard will be difficult, I am hoping there will be bare bone clones. I'm hoping there will be a cheaper bare bones Mega; something equivalent to the Duino Stamp

Matt Elias

Need more memory (Flash/SRAM/EEPROM) in a DIP package?
How about the ATmega644P(Sanguino, 64/4/2) or ATmega1284P(128/16/4)? Both also have 2 USART!

giorgiodidon

hi all, i don't know if already posted, but here:
http://shop.gtronica.com/product_info.php?products_id=652
arduino mega is available for 39 euros...
giorgio

mem

Mar 21, 2009, 06:31 pm Last Edit: Mar 21, 2009, 06:31 pm by mem Reason: 1
arduino mega is available for 39 euros...

the page you linked says: "This product will be in stock on Thursday 26 March, 2009."

AlphaBeta

With the standard Arduinos, you can prototype a project, and when it's working you can you can ... make your project and still have your Arduino board for the next project.

This possibility is probably going to dissaper with the mega board.

I think one should be able to use a breakout board? Or one could make pcbs. I do not think the possibility is going to disappear:)

retrolefty

I think one should be able to use a breakout board? Or one could make pcbs. I do not think the possibility is going to disappear:)

I agree. If there is a demand then some industrious supplier will fill the need.

Lefty

Go Up