Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Author Topic: "Arduino Mega" photos up on lusorobotica.com  (Read 6578 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Seeedstudio has the mega in stock now: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/arduino-mega-assembled-p-311.html

Forum Administrator
View Profile

hello

the mega128 is a different processor... arduino won't work with it.

Download wiring from wiring.org.co.

m

Connecticut, US
Edison Member
Whatduino
View Profile

the mega128 is a different processor... arduino won't work with it

Yeah, I think it's pretty weak to market this as an ArduinoTM Mega, including the almost-trademark blue soldermask, when it's not Arduino-software compatible.  It's not entirely clear if the Arduino guys in Italy have granted Seeed the right to use that trademark for the hardware, but it doesn't sound like it.

http://twitter.com/azrobbo
View Profile

Yeah, I think it's pretty weak to market this as an ArduinoTM Mega, including the almost-trademark blue soldermask, when it's not Arduino-software compatible.  It's not entirely clear if the Arduino guys in Italy have granted Seeed the right to use that trademark for the hardware, but it doesn't sound like it.
The Arduino Mega is supported by the Arduino IDE (with the new version 15 available today).  The ArduinoMega uses a ATmega1280, not a mega128.

Seeed is not the developer of it, there are merely one of the distributors; and one of the first to put it up on their store.  nkcelectronics.com also is selling it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 01:37:48 pm by 33Warlord » Logged

Connecticut, US
Edison Member
Whatduino
View Profile

33Warlord, I read further back in the thread and found the earlier comments.  I stand corrected.  But it still sounds like the release was a bit botched by mis-coordination.

http://twitter.com/azrobbo
View Profile

No worries - i certainly didn't want to offend you.  I'm not sure what a "god member" is, but it sounds rather scary.

I agree about the release being somewhat botched, as the information slowly trickled in over time.  It appears that information leaked out before it was supposed to, and some distributor(s) even sold a few before they were officially announced or supported.

It's kind of a shame, as it likely means new products will need to be much more secretive, and thus the distributors wont get any advance notice.

Connecticut, US
Edison Member
Whatduino
View Profile

I'm not sure what a "god member" is, but it sounds rather scary.

It means nothing except that I've wasted time typing 500 posts to the board.  smiley  In my case, about half "trying to help others write software," and half "trying to ask for help on hardware."

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I though the ATmega128 was an earlier version of the ATmega1280, same pinouts, hmm, thought maybe the bootloader could be recompiled.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

it likely means new products will need to be much more secretive, and thus the distributors wont get any advance notice.
Or perhaps less secretive?  I think that in this case, that would have worked as well - the Mega existence isn't so likely to disrupt non-mega sales as a new version of the non-mega, for example.

OTOH, this "leak" showed up only 10 days ago.  I don't think 10 days of "slight confusion" in the community is so bad (and the count of days when there were people actually confused was less than that.)

In fact,  I think the Arduino team is to be commended.  Being able to have Arduino-mega in the hands of REAL USERS on the date it was officially announced  is a real accomplishment.  The distributor pipeline is primed with product and ordinary users can order one immediately (and apparently receive it slightly faster than the distributors thought!)  That's practically unheard of, and it's wonderful!

If only Atmel could do as well! :-(

Newcastle, UK
View Profile

In fact,  I think the Arduino team is to be commended.  Being able to have Arduino-mega in the hands of REAL USERS on the date it was officially announced  is a real accomplishment.  The distributor pipeline is primed with product and ordinary users can order one immediately (and apparently receive it slightly faster than the distributors thought!)  That's practically unheard of, and it's wonderful!
I can vouch for Arduino excellent work in getting the mega out to the Arduino community.

Like many I saw the "leaked" pictures of the Mega Arduino, thought "hey I want one of those", checked this site to find no announcements so I contacted my local UK supplier coolcomponents.co.uk who said there would be an announcement made on Thursday 26th March and to get back with in touch with them then. So I waited until Thursday, saw the announcement about the new Mega Arduino, checked with Coolcomponents to find they had stock and ordered one there and then. Checked my emails this morning to find a confirmation that the mega Arduino has been posted and is on its way.

Excellent work by the Arduino team and excellent service from its distributors.

- Tony

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
View Profile

So NKC was kind enough to send me an Arduino MEGA, under the condition that I not talk about it till after the announcement.   Well, the announcement has happened, and there's some doubt in my mind that all have anything profound to say any sooner than the people who are getting them through normal channels, especially since I'm feeling like I ought to be especially "wise" in whatever I say.  (I'm not complaining, mind you.  This is a relatively happy consequence of how rapidly Mega Deployment happened.)

Meanwhile, here are some better (well, higher resolution, anyway) pictures than the original "leak."

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xbQqj9EmYKSKJQpv0YsVAg?feat=directlink
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 06:39:18 pm by westfw » Logged

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
View Profile

Let's see.   First interesting observation:  While the "unusual" spacing of the connectors that the Mega has in common with Arduino has not been changed (maintaining compatibility with the physical layout of of existing Shields), the NEW connectors are added at nice even multiples of 0.1 inch:

http://picasaweb.google.com/westfw/ArduinoStuff?feat=directlink#5318038518137382914

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I've been looking over the schematic, and I'm a bit confused as to why the full i/o was not made available.  Also the upper two external interrupt pins are not usable.  Pin 9 (PE7) is simply not connected to anything, and (PE6) is being used for something else which I have not been able to figure out.  I am a bit sad we won't have all 8 external interrupts available to us.  Then again I may make my own board.

Arduino for HiFi
View Profile

That explains the missing interrupts. The spec says 8, but the description at NKC only says 6

Weak.
View Profile

Here's to hoping companies like Adafruit or SeeedStudio will release a derivative that brings out all the I/O pins.   smiley-razz

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: