Go Down

Topic: best/cheapest sound amplitude sensor and/or code? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

autospot

hi all

whats the easiest, cheapest sound amplitude sensor out there?

i just want something that detects sound amplitude and responds accordingly.

also if anyone knows nay good sound sensor code examples (not Knock - that seems more aimed at vibration), they'd be much appreciated :)

cheers, auto

Magician

Check on Sparkfun: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9964
Or you can build one using breadboard, electret mic and OPA, and just download code from them :)

MarkT

It rather depends on what you mean by amplitude - instanteous, averaged, and what bandwidth you are talking about...  Best and cheapest are mutually exclusive I think.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

autospot

Hi - thanks, I might take a look at that breakout board.

Can anyone recommend code for detecting sounds exceeding certain absolute values?

Something like if sound > 100db then the LED will light up....

MarkT

Decibels for the purposes of human hearing are not the same as decibels in the electronic domain - for human hearing the ear's frequency response is compensated for.   So if you want accurate measurement of sound volume from a human PoV you'll need to emulate this frequency response curve.

However if you are only interested in a rough level you only really need a peak level detector along the lines of:
Code: [Select]

int value = analogRead (AUDIO) - zero_level ;
 if (abs(value) > threshold)
 {
   digitalWrite (LED, HIGH) ;
 }
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy