Go Down

Topic: BreadConnect for Arduino (Read 2164 times) previous topic - next topic

Myra Robotics

Hi fluorinc,

Thanks for the reply. Firstly, and most importantly, before answering your questions, our most basic question for the SCAXb KoRe is:

It makes sense to us to provide a very affordable ATmega Xbee solution. Would you as an end user like to have the SCAXb KoRe that would retail at a price of $45 as compared to existing ATmega Xbee solutions that end up in the $65-$75 price range?

Now, here are answers and questions to your suggestions:

1] I cannot see the resonator on the board. Where is it?
The resonator is between the reset switch and the bottom 2 20pf capacitors

2] It is not clear from the 3D image, but is the USB connector going to be type miniB?
We did not think about the miniB but does a miniB connector make the board more appealing to existing Arduino users?

3] If yes, since you take "quotes for procuring", would you also sell some of these?
You mean sell stackable female headers right?

4] Few more suggestions:

1. An on/off switch would be useful - Agree

2. The LEDs should be connectible through jumpers, if you want the board to be useful in slee mode as well
Could you please elaborate on this?

3. You can save some space by mounting the resistors vertically; or use SMD, or even 1/8 watts - Agree 1/8watts preferred solution

Thanks
info@myra-robotics.com

florinc

Jun 01, 2009, 11:26 pm Last Edit: Jun 01, 2009, 11:26 pm by florinc Reason: 1
Price is good, no doubt.

I think MiniB USB connector is more appealing, yes. Like the one used by seeedstudio. It is also more expensive and more difficult (at least for me) to find. Is this USB miniB connector I was inquiring about (not the headers).

I meant "sleep mode". You don't want LEDs to be on and take power away from the batteries in "sleep mode". I would also "disconnect" the FTDI during sleep mode as well. XBee has it's own sleep mode, so you don't need extra circuitry for that. Jumpers would allow the LEDs to be disconnected. For example, I don't need to have a LED on to show me that my device is powered.

Keep up the good work!

PS It's "florinc", not "fluorinc".

Myra Robotics

Hi florinc,

We wish to clarify a few more things:

So here's what we have:

1] We are planning for a switch instead of the jumper for power selection (USB/Ext). i.e. on/off switch that u referred to. This would basically mean that when you are using External power supply and you want to turn off the power to the board then you switch to USB. Correct? And in case of USB powered board, if you want to switch off the board then you switch to Ext. Right? Any idea where do we get good hard switches like those used by SeedStudio?

2] With regards to MiniB USB, we still don't understand why is it that they are more appealing. We assume that users with existing USB-B connectors would still have to buy A to MiniB USB connectors. Right?

3] Now we have two jumpers doing the job of switching between USB/Xbee. What you are saying is that in addition to these jumpers we have one more jumper that disconnects the LEDs and also disconnects the FTDI. Is that correct?

Thanks
info@myra-robotics.com

florinc

1. Yo can buy the slide switches from seeedstudio directly. The switch would turn on/off the external power, not the USB. Think of people who want to use the board independently, for example powered by battery. I see USB being used for development, external for "production".
2. MiniB, compared to type B, is much smaller (does not stick out that much, and it is not that high). People usually have both cables, that is not an issue. If you want to cram the board, why not start with the obvious?
3. Sleep mode, usually necessary for the "production" boards powered by batteries, would require the extra component (everything except uC) to be powered off, since those would take current but do nothing (standby basically). That is what I was referring to. What would be the purpose of a LED (being on) when the device is asleep?

jerrya.net

Would the Hardware Development forum be a more appropriate location for this thread?
- Jerry Adlersfluegel

TBAr

Jun 02, 2009, 10:31 pm Last Edit: Jun 02, 2009, 10:32 pm by TBAr Reason: 1
It seems to have drifted from BreadConnect, doesn't it?  If it does get moved, please start another thread when there's more news about BreadConnect. THX

Otacon2k

Nice stuff, looks like what i use to connect my Arduino to the Breadboard (but of course yours looks much nicer...)

Some impressions (of my soldering "skills"...):

Made of perfboard and an old IDE-cable. The 0.05" spacing was solved by soldering angled headers around the side of the perfboard (last picture, not really visible, but works...).

Pinout on mine is D0 to D12 on one side and D13, A0 to A5, AREF, RESET, GND, 5V, 3.3V and VIN on the other side.

Myra Robotics

he he nice:)

what a coincidence. Now that happens when human neurons are gravitated to thinking alike:)

Go Up