Go Down

Topic: Using salvaged relays for 110vac controls (Read 773 times) previous topic - next topic

tsmi243

I have a few relays that I've salvaged from appliance control boards.  The electrical specs look good (12vdc coil, switch supports up to 20A@230vac), but the legs on the bottom are TINY.  I want to control an air compressor (owner's manual calls for a 15A branch circuit, so my relay should work, right?) but the wires on the compressor itself are much larger than these little pins on my relays. 

1. Am I missing something?  Why are the pins so small?

2. How do I attach the tiny pin to giant stranded wire? (12ga, I think.  I'll check on that.)  The pins are flat, so I don't think they'll fit into a perfboard. 

Tim

tsmi243

OK, forget the air compressor then.  I have lots of other small 110vac motors I'd like to control (in the 2-3A range).  So in the case that the relay is sufficient for the load- how would I attach the wires? 

If I can't find a way to mount the relay by its legs, I'm OK with just soldering wires onto the pins.  I have just never seen a writeup on how to do this properly. 

Thanks for reading.  I think I have a 24vac transformer and contactor out of an HVAC unit, I can rig it up to run the compressor if need be. 

tsmi243

That's perfect, thanks!  I'll post a writeup on my project when it's reasonably ready.

Tim

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy