Go Down

Topic: DFRobot Rover: Drive without USB cable? (Read 2039 times) previous topic - next topic

I have bought the blank DFRobot Rover to introduce myself to robotics and arduino.

My problem is that i cannot power the motors without USB connection although 4 full AA Batteries are inserted. The D2 LED and L LED blinks, it seems to me the board is waiting for input instead just to power both motors trying the "full speed code".

Is there a way to let the bare DFRobot rover power the motors without USB or other shields?

I tried the following example found in http://www.robotshop.com/content/PDF/dfrobotshop-rover-user-guide.pdf (however the motors first starts after connecting USB):

Code: [Select]
/* Copy and paste the code below into the Arduino software */
int E1 = 6; //M1 Speed Control
int E2 = 5; //M2 Speed Control
int M1 = 8; //M1 Direction Control
int M2 = 7; //M2 Direction Control
void setup()
int i;
pinMode(i, OUTPUT);
void loop()
int leftspeed = 255; //255 is maximum speed
int rightspeed = 255;
analogWrite (E1,255);
analogWrite (E2,255);

I'm not sure since I have no rover to test.

By looking at the schematics, http://www.robotshop.com/content/PDF/dfrobotshop-rover-schematic.pdf, the rover apparently has a switch called S1.
It switches off all power, except... when connected to USB.
Set wrong it might explain the problem.

Aug 11, 2011, 11:41 am Last Edit: Aug 11, 2011, 11:52 am by Schludi Reason: 1
Thank you for your answer. My goal is to run the code without the USB connected to the rover.

The S1-Switch i already noticed. I have 4x 1.5VAA Batteries in the rover. When i disconnect the usb connections, the motors aren't driving using the code above. (L LED near to PWR,RX,TX blinks 1 time the second and there is a tick sound).

When i take out the batteries, the rover isn't moving (no motor drive only from usb power). When the S1 switch is off, the board has power when there is a USB connection.

But having only the code flashed on it without USB Connection, it seems the rover is waiting for input although i don't need input that it only moves forwards when i switch it on. When i connect the USB, the batteries are in and S1 Switch is on, the robot moves.

How can i run the code without the USB connected in the Rover?

USB Connected?Batteries IN?S1 Switch enabled?Basic Code for max. speed works??
NOYESYESNO But i want this :(
YESYESYESYES - I even can send commands via USB/COM

The LEDs on the board are on, when S1 is switched on or the USB connection is in

Hey if found it out - one battery was low XD.... WTF.... :( . Thx

Funny: Now it's driving in the other direction XD

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131