Go Down

Topic: ATxmega (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic

neuromancer2701

I just totally bumped into this.  If a second gen arduino is in the works I would think of using these guys.
Higher resolution ADs and DAs on the chip sweet.  The higher pin counts might cause some board layout issues but the new functions are pretty cool.

http://www.atmel.com/products/AVR/default_xmega.asp
"Who left the fridge open?"
-Tugg Speedman
(Scorcher VI - Global Meltdown)

Cheater

Thats a seriously high end chip. I want one. ;D

4 DMA channels, 32mhz, onboard crypto.

Very nice. I dont think its designed for beginners though. ;)
Its more of a speed demon.

neuromancer2701

I had not read anything about them just ran across it yesterday.  
Yeah the on board crypto that is crazy but all the other stuff looks really neat.
From reading some of the press releases it does not seem like it is that complicated.

The ATMEGA64(100TQFP) is about $7.33 per 100
The Xmega64(100TQFP) is about 3.75 per 10k, I am guessing that the prices are almost the same, probably made in the same fab.

Only the large pin packages are available right now but it would be cool to take a look at one of the Xmega64 in the 44TQFP.

These chips have the same AVR core so  it will be interesting to see if these can be applied to the non-industrial community.
"Who left the fridge open?"
-Tugg Speedman
(Scorcher VI - Global Meltdown)

ckiick

Yeah, I got a little excited about this too, until I read some of the details.

The Xmegas are "low power" devices. Which means that they do not do TTL I/O.  So one of these could never be a drop in replacement for an arduino chip.  Sure, you could probably rig up a board that did voltage conversion between the Xmega and the exposed pins, but that would probably run your costs and complexity up to the point where it's no longer worth it.

I wish chip makers in general (and microcontroller makers in particular) would take a page from the FPGA world and separate the IO voltage from the chip supply voltage.  That would make them much more flexible.
Chris J. Kiick
Robot builder and all around geek.

AVRman

It is great to hear that they're continuing the AVR instruction set and have found a way to build it into a more powerful device. My only concern is when they will actually get these devices to silicon. I love playing with new stuff, but hate waiting for it  ;)

Go Up