Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: ATxmega  (Read 4603 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Something using an XMEGA is going to be very un-Arduino like!

Violent agreement!  It's an interesting part as an upgrade to the regular AVRs, but probably not for arduino.  There's a growth path from Arduino-->other AVR-->ATxmega-->AVR32, or something like that...
Yes, absolutely agree. I am working with the ATXmega128A1 right now, and it is rather nice!

But Arduino occupies a very different niche in the market. We use a number of Arduinos and we will be releasing a board based on Arduino reference designs that has additional interfaces on the main board rather than needing a shield that fits our particular market and needs. But XMEGA-ARDUINO? It would be far too much of a paradigm shift.

Our choice was to use something like the LPC2364 from NXP to get the UARTs and I2C we need, or, fortunately the XMEGA came along at the right time and we can leverage years of ATmega experience. But we also use AVR32, PowerPC and NIOS-II/Altera FPGA based systems. So we had plenty to choose from and we didn't need to add Yet Another Platform to the collection. We need CAN ports too, but we have also been using the MCP2515 from Microchip for some time (they make great peripherals, but not so great CPUs!) so we will add two of those to get the feature mix we need.

The big RAM space is a huge plus for us. Otherwise this design might have gone to a NIOS-II processor where we can get SDRAM interface cheaply.

The Geek
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:57:17 pm by torontogeek » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

After having to meet some technical requirements, ATMega on current Arduino platform was not sufficient.

After some investigation I decided to get into ARM instead : -)..

I have started an Xduino project at www.xduino.com to be able to extend Arduino platform beyond its current hardware limitation (not just ARM, perhaps PIC and other MCU will also be there in the future).

The first release v0.1(today) is for ARM Cortex-M3 72MHz 32-bit mcu plenty of RAM and flash memory depending on your actual board. I am running on STM32F103ret6 which has 512kb of flash and 64kb of RAM, >40 GPIO pins, ADC, DAC, USB, SPI, I2C, CAN, etc etc... lots of features. The price I got the board is pretty much the same price as my normal Arduino board.

The current syntax is not the same as Arduino, as balance between syntax and extended power of the mcu has to be considered. I am considering writing 2 sets of syntax, one for Arduino compatibility and the other as extended language.

If you get to try this please let me know. Also contributions are more than welcome.

I love Arduino
View Profile

deal RAM

Sound interesting !

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: