Go Down

Topic: What to do with 22 lasers? (Read 2858 times) previous topic - next topic

mowcius

I was impulse buying on ebay and bought a 5mw red laser a 1mw green laser (among other things), and the went on virtual village and bought 20 4mw red lasers!

and now I'm thinking I might have bought too many :p

What are the best ideas people can come up with as to what to do with them all?  ;D

There may also be a few on offer for the best idea (unless it uses all of them!)

Mowcius

CaptainObvious

Well, you could always stage a bank robbery with all of them... lol who wouldn't hand over the cash with 20 snipers?  :-?

But on a semi-serious note, I think a laser light show would be sexy! (not sure what else you would do with them, lol) or if you feel like a challenge, you could work out some POV words or images or something of the nature.

Haha, got to love the impulse buys on eBay.. I bought 100 RGB leds, then 100 super bright LEDs (only like 6 of the leds are bent from use, lol)

Mike Rice

Arrange all the lasers around the perimeter of a sphere, aiming at the center of the sphere.

Place a DilLithium crystal in the middle (a tritium crystal will do in a pinch).

Enclose the whole thing in a sub-space nozzle.

Apply 1.21 Gigawatts of power to the lasers.

???

PROFIT!

jezuz

Out of interest, what would happen if you did the above, Mike?

pekkaa

You of course attach them on sharks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw.

mowcius

But on a semi-serious note, I think a laser light show would be sexy! (not sure what else you would do with them, lol) or if you feel like a challenge, you could work out some POV words or images or something of the nature.

Yeah I am thinking of some laser effects. I am also going to use one for a long distance light gate for a project i'm doing (laser shining on LDR or similar).

Haha, got to love the impulse buys on eBay.. I bought 100 RGB leds, then 100 super bright LEDs (only like 6 of the leds are bent from use, lol)

Yeah but do you play it with a £1 (incl postage) limit? I thought that would limit what I bought but you can buy a hell of a lot for a quid off ebay :p

I bought:
A 3.5mm jack to jack lead
A 3.5mm jack to socket lead
2 silicone rubber fish headphone winders
A solar charged led light keyring
VGA D-Sub to SVideo RCA adaptop cable
A pac man badge
Another badge that i'm not going to mention :p

and then:
a red 5mw laser and a 1mw green laser and 20 4mw red lasers (all more than £1)

You of course attach them on sharks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw.

Or you could just get sea bass!

???

PROFIT!

More like:

???

House blows up!

AWOL

Out of interest, what would happen if you did the above, Mike?

Total destruction of Life, As We Know It (tm)
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Mike Rice

Either the discovery of Warp Speed travel, or...

one insanely intense light show lasting a couple microseconds.

Pretty cool, either way.

IMHO

mowcius

Nice, anyone got any more feasable ideas?  ;D :P

I am going to do an audio visualisation project with a few and a few motors.

Can they be used as long distance light gates using an LDR on the other end? The LDR will be low resistance with laser on it and high resistance when the laser beam is broken?

Mowcius

ajb

Nov 02, 2009, 03:56 am Last Edit: Nov 02, 2009, 03:56 am by ajb Reason: 1
Get ten friends together and entertain 22 cats?

Grumpy_Mike

Nov 02, 2009, 01:16 pm Last Edit: Nov 02, 2009, 01:26 pm by Grumpy_Mike Reason: 1
Make a laser version of:-
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/The_Sound_Square.html

With added smoke it could look good.

mowcius

Make a laser version of:-
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/The_Sound_Square.html

That's a brilliant piece of kit :D
I am currently doing some stuff with lasers and LDRs so I might do that.

Mowcius

Grumpy_Mike

I have often thought that one of those water atomisers you get in water based displays would be a good way of generating a mist to show up a laser. Mind you you would have to make things proof against condensation.

mowcius

Yeah, I will look into it all. Showing up lasers is not the easiest thing to do. I wouldn't want to use anything that will run out of expensive liquid (dry ice etc) but water would be ok. I presume that the atomisers are pretty expensive though. Maybe that project would be better with infrared sensors, sensing hand distance?

Mowcius

Lee

look for an ultrasonic pond fogger, seen them in maplins & on ebay for £15 ish, never seen them working so dont know how well they work.

Go Up