Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: What to do with 22 lasers?  (Read 2414 times)
North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Cool, will do,

Mowcius

Atascadero, CA
Arduino addict
View Profile

I have one of those little vapor fountains on my office desk.  The module is called an ultrasonic atomizer (http://www.siansonic.com/UltrasonicAtomizer.htm).  They are easy to find on line for pretty cheap.  Many have LEDs in them too.

The one I have produces fog that lasts for about 8-10 inches distance.  The fog will sit in place for a good 30 seconds, but if it's moving around, it dissipates pretty quickly.   The atomizer creates a spout of water and quite a bit of splash, so you'd need to protect the circuits from that.  They must remain submerged to keep them cool and some have a protection sensor that shuts them off if the water is too shallow above the element.

What about elevensies? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Nice, I have had a look but have yet to find one that's quite right. Maybe I will buy a few small ones.

I am looking forward to "seeing" my lasers (when they arrive).

Mowcius

Nowhere
God Member
|-\ |\|\
View Profile

Two words:  death star

peow peow peow peow peow *lasers converge*  PEEEEOOWWWW!!!!    BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!! *planet blows up*

ok, now an actual idea.
Make a cliche spy movie laser security thing.  With moving lasers and everything!  I know I would, if it would keep my annoying little sister out of my room.

Soundcloud page: http://soundcloud.com/beefinator-2
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/beefinator14
Old soundcloud page (ran out o

Copenhagen / Denmark
Edison Member
Do it !
View Profile

use 20 in a 5 by 4 matrix and make a 20 pixel "8 bit Art beamer"

I actually considered doing that with 8 by 8 cheap lasers from dealextreme, until i started thinking about how to align them precisely enough to be usefull :-)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:42:12 pm by MikMo » Logged

Atascadero, CA
Arduino addict
View Profile

Go buy yourself a large quartz crystal from one of those gift shops that sell cool rocks and stuff.  Place it in a good location in your living room.  Mount all the lasers in random places on the ceiling, pointing at the crystal.  Modulate the lasers with your Arduino to put some life into it.  You could use sound, motion, distance, temperature and/or light as input info.  Put a bright white background behind it to catch the scatter of the lasers for more effect.

What about elevensies? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I actually considered doing that with 8 by 8 cheap lasers from dealextreme, until i started thinking about how to align them precisely enough to be usefull  
Yeah, not easy...

Go buy yourself a large quartz crystal from one of those gift shops that sell cool rocks and stuff.  Place it in a good location in your living room.  Mount all the lasers in random places on the ceiling, pointing at the crystal.  Modulate the lasers with your Arduino to put some life into it.  You could use sound, motion, distance, temperature and/or light as input info.  Put a bright white background behind it to catch the scatter of the lasers for more effect.
I like it!

Mowcius

Bangkok
freeduino.de Admin
View Profile

laserharp

sudo make me a (bread+ham+lettuce+cheese+bread)
View Profile

you could try that laser dotmatrix, Just mount the lasers on to a drilled wooden frame.
Of a laser touchscreen, kind of. have the lasers setup this way(phototransistors needed)
Legend: ^=phototransistor #=laser  =laser in air

##########
#                  ^
#                  ^
#                  ^
#                  ^
#                  ^
#                  ^
#                  ^
#                  ^
#                  ^
#^^^^^^^^^
so you can tell which "pixels" are blocked by finding which 2 lasers are blocked like this
Legend: ^=phototransistor #=laser  =laser in air P=obstructing object S=laser path

##########
#           S     ^
#           S     ^
#           S     ^
# SSSSSP     ^
#                  ^
#                  ^
#                  ^
#                  ^
#                  ^
#^^^^^^^^^

Arduino myAVR and I'll PICAXE your ARM
View Profile

Death ray?

I'd love to see a Death Star model made, with some sort of acrylic/optic/crystal/quartz/lens to "focus" the beams.. lol...

Laser/light graffiti? Build a rig to draw <anything> on a large surface from your mysterious black transit van? Naturally, we don't want to do this on apartments or occupied offices with windows - that could lead to some trouble.

Laser harp/other musical instrument always sounds like a cool idea. Although you probably want visible beams for that (or maybe you don't - it might be cool to have "nothing" to wave your magic-MIDI-controlling hand through)

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Using this "lasers", you could punch a hole in the protective layer around
the Earth, which we scientists call the "Ozone Layer."

With this, it would be easy to press "One Million Dollar" from the government.
 smiley-grin

EDIT: just found out now, my one was the 2nd AustinPowerJoke smiley-sad
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 12:46:35 pm by willich » Logged

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Laser/light graffiti? Build a rig to draw <anything> on a large surface from your mysterious black transit van? Naturally, we don't want to do this on apartments or occupied offices with windows - that could lead to some trouble.
GRL anyone? This is rather difficult to do without a lot of mirrors and motors...

View Profile

GRL anyone? This is rather difficult to do without a lot of mirrors and motors...

Sorry, I didn't realise there was a difficulty threshold or that the project must only use lasers. I apologise for my complete incompetence.

PS I had not previously heard of GRL, I am looking at their website now. Thanks for the tip.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Sorry, I didn't realise there was a difficulty threshold or that the project must only use lasers. I apologise for my complete incompetence.
smiley-grin

I was more thinking of easy projects but it was something I looked into. I am thinking of doing a projectable music visualiser using the lasers, only then requiring up/down movement

GRL is often interesting to haver a look at for some cool projects. Reminds me - i must check up on their progress now!

Mowcius

View Profile

projectable music visualiser using the lasers

I was looking into doing some sort of visualiser the other day, although not with lasers, but I didn't find any good info on detecting/processing frequencies with Arduino. My idea was to have a series of band pass filters connected to analog inputs but I am no expert on audio electronics (yet), how would you go about implementing this? Could it be done with less circuitry?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: