Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: What kind of board/shield do you guys want?  (Read 5258 times)
Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Just a thought, the matrix holes may be perfect for male headers ready for some wire wrapping.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

As 12 august is the 30th anniversery of the PC -

I would like a coprocessor shield for floating point operations with a 8087 or another one. It should be faster than the internal floats routines of Arduino of course.

Some pseudocode

// y = sin(3.45);
Coprocessor.setX(3.45 );
Coprocessor.sinX();
y = Coprocessor.getX();

// y = ln(10);
Coprocessor.setX( 10);
Coprocessor.lnX();
y = Coprocessor.getX();

// y = ln(x) * sin(x);
Coprocessor.setX( x);
Coprocessor.lnX();
Coprocessor.YisX();
Coprocessor.setX(x);
Coprocessor.sinX();
Coprocessor.mul();
y = Coprocessor.getX();

A small test shows that 10000  y = sin(x)  takes 1159 millis.  => 1 sin() call including assigning 116 micros.

So the setX()  the getX() and the sinX() should not take more than 116 micros.

assuming bytes can clocked in/out at 1 Mhz:

A float == 32bit  so  at least 64 micros are needed for set/get,
leaves 52 micros, at least 8 micros to send the command code (assume 256 command codes)
leaves 44 micros to calc the sinX()

Q: what is the maximum speed of the SPI bus?

Googled this while writing the above ..
- http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view.asp?ProductID=570 -
- http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/Fpu -
- http://www.micromegacorp.com/downloads/documentation/uMFPU-V3_1%20Arduino.pdf -
  * I like the serial debug option !!

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I would like a coprocessor shield for floating point operations with a 8087 or another one.

I always thought the below coprocessor would be a very cool thing to have on a shield. It does a lot of other things along with floating point, GPS numa parsing, 2 12 bit A/D pins, serial port, and a lot more. Can interface with a arduino via SPI (fastest method), I2C, or serial. They even have a arduino software library download avalible. What I've never seen is a bench mark on it's floating point ops Vs the AVR software floating point results.

http://www.micromegacorp.com/umfpu-v3.html#features

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8129

Lefty

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

* landLine telephone Switch shield
Can switch on/off landlines, optionally with a RTC

Here's a brilliant idea.
One other nice Idea would be to hack into the caller ID when receiving a phone call and automatically disconnect the call if the number didn't match the stored numbers in memory. This would make my day, shutting down the line to those **#¤&%#%&"#¤% automated telemarketers.

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

@Lefty,

What is the max speed of SPI (in practice) ? 2Mb/sec?

scanned through the documentation a bit but found no comparison/performance chart. Some examples I saw keep the calculations as much in the FPU as possible, mind you 128 floating point registers is quite a bit (especially compared to the 2K RAM of Arduino).

And a 12 bit ADC. (4096 steps)

Unfortunately they are not in stock yet. Think a MathShield is a winner.

Rob Tillaart

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
View Profile

@bubulindo

My main purpose was to switch the incoming line off during the meals. (and during the match of the day and ...)

Rob Tillaart

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Can switch on/off landlines, optionally with a RTC

Here's a brilliant idea.
One other nice Idea would be to hack into the caller ID when receiving a phone call and automatically disconnect the call if the number didn't match the stored numbers in memory. This would make my day, shutting down the line to those **#¤&%#%&"#¤% automated telemarketers.

I thought telezapper does that. I saw their ad like 10 years ago. I might still have one in a box but I don't have a land line anymore. If you are in US, look in dollar stores they could still have them. I don't know if it works.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

@Lefty,

What is the max speed of SPI (in practice) ? 2Mb/sec?

That is determined by the arduino SPI clock setting, as it would be the master in this case. I think 4mhz is the max clock speed arduino uses?

scanned through the documentation a bit but found no comparison/performance chart. Some examples I saw keep the calculations as much in the FPU as possible, mind you 128 floating point registers is quite a bit (especially compared to the 2K RAM of Arduino).

And a 12 bit ADC. (4096 steps)

And lots of other features. The GPS numa sentence parsing would sure off load the arduino in applications using a GPS.

Unfortunately they are not in stock yet. Think a MathShield is a winner.

Other places sell this chip.  http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/txtSearch/fpu/List/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

Lefty

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

And lots of other features. The GPS numa sentence parsing would sure off load the arduino in applications using a GPS.

Don't forget about the I2C GPS Shield.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

Don't forget about the I2C GPS Shield.

Didn't forget, it's on my wish list.

Lefty

Germany
View Profile

Having an UPS like (?Energy Harvesting?) power supply would allow Arduino going into real world business!

I found only one (real world/professional/semiprofessional) usable Arduino based part wich is also
usable inside small housings without unpractical Power connectors

the -> mosquino (use Search inside Forum) would be a good reference to start with, for further Development!

Greetz

London, Ontario, Canada
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I would like to cast my vote for a telephone interface shield.

It should have:
(a) ring detect circuit,
(b) the ability to connect disconnect from the line,
(c) encode and decode DTMF. 

The arduino is perfect for remote control but lacks any sort telephone interfacing with remote access.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
View Profile

telephone interface shield.

(d) able to play prerecorded mp3's  after some keypress  (to build an automated telemarketer smiley-wink

Rob Tillaart

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

telephone interface shield.

(d) able to play prerecorded mp3's  after some keypress  (to build an automated telemarketer smiley-wink

Hmmm,

(d) able to play prerecorded mp3's  after some keypress  (to build an automated telemarketer

Or ANTI-telemarketer!    I really like the idea of sending the intercept three-tone whenever the phone rings. Your friends will know better, but telemarketers will think you line is disconnected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_information_tones#SIT_example_recordings_and_encoding_scheme_.5B1.5D
See (hear):  "Intercept"

Something like this -> LOL Epic.

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

Hey, how about a random number shield.

How hard is it to come up with some cesium atoms? smiley

Maybe something resembling LavaRnd?

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: