Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: What kind of board/shield do you guys want?  (Read 5694 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I'm new here, I willing to design and build some custom arduino pcbs.

I wanted to get opinions from the community as to what you guys want to see board and shield wise.

Thanks

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

1. Maybe a nice analog instrumentation shield. with on board ADC of 16 bits or better (TI's ADS1115 looks nice) , a DAC of 12 bits or better. Possibly a programable (or hardware configurable) instrumentation op-amp(s). Programmable reference voltage source. SPI or I2C would be cool for the devices, but make them configurable for both standard arduino boards and the mega boards.

2. Maybe a high quality wide range DDS based RF generator with 50ohm output connector and 'tunable with either software or on-shield encoder interface.

3. Maybe a voice recoder/playback shield with built in mic interface or line level audio input/output and a small auduio amplifier to power a small speaker.

That's it for now.  smiley-wink

Lefty
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:29:10 pm by retrolefty » Logged

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

External memory for the Arduino Mega...

Or if you'd like the challenge, external memory, LCD, parallel ADC and DAC on the Arduino Mega. smiley

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

SF Bay Area
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'm with retrolefty on #1 & #3.

KE7GKP also sounds great.

View Profile

Good ideas guys, let's keep 'em coming.

Does the idea of a shield sound more appealing than having the arduino and the "stuff" all on 1 board?
Any interest in a PSTN 56k dial up modem w/voice shield?

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Good ideas guys, let's keep 'em coming.

Does the idea of a shield sound more appealing than having the arduino and the "stuff" all on 1 board?
Any interest in a PSTN 56k dial up modem w/voice shield?

What would most interest me on any product, is if it were a shield, but had the option of headers/pins not being pre-soldered. That way, I could decide whether to use it as a shield, or as an external board connected via jumpers or other means.

I would not being interested in a board with an Arduino on it - with one exception: As long as you made the processor on each board, in some manner, be able to communicate to others via I2C or SPI (so that each was addressable). You would have, in effect, the possibility for a multi-processor Arduino "stack". That would be interesting, and possibly very useful.

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

A shield that converts all  signals to and from 12 volts level so it can be used in a car. 12v dio, 12v adc etc.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

A shield that converts all  signals to and from 12 volts level so it can be used in a car. 12v dio, 12v adc etc.

Doesn't the RuggedDuino does that?

However, there is a close implementation called Arduino PLC or something with those keywords. Not sure about the analog part though. :\

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

brainstrom mode on:

* Random shield
Provides real random data (through I2C or SPI), something like an radio that receives and converts noise to bits.

* Voip shield
A shield that can connect to VOIP phone calls (not the audio part but to interact with connection stuff)

* Phone charger shield
A shield that controls the charging of a mobile phone (monitors the load)

* landLine telephone Switch shield
Can switch on/off landlines, optionally with a RTC

* Serial Shield
Provides multiple (4) HW serial ports with big buffers
switchable to RS485?

* Power supply shields
Solar ? will it provide enough?
Backup battery (UPS alike)
Battery Shield (Holds 2x3  AA) - rechargeables prepared

* Cover Shield
A small box that can fix an Arduino by using the shield pins (top part can act like an umbrella smiley

* Status shield
Has for every line a LED that shows if it is LOW/HIGH (dimmer if PWM or an analog voltage)
e.g. shows (implicitely) SPI I2C communication

* Light Dimmer shield
Control 4 lights in a living room, => in general a Domotic Shield

* Navigation shield
Holds compass and GPS

* Meteo shield
with room for - humidity, temperature, airpressure, airquality,... sensors

enough for coming months smiley

I second  Lefty's  DAC / ADC is a good one,
also second the multicore-shield from cr0sh

Rob Tillaart

View Profile

I like those ideas. I'm surprised the AA battery shield hasn't been made available. A AA battery shield with footprints for a bluetooth module would untether the arduino and allow OTA programming.

Sounds like you all like the ADC/DAC. I wonder when the xmega will be supported as it has adc and dacs onchip.

Here's something I was mocking up a while back. Its essentially an arduino uno clone with the atmega8u2 + atmega328 with standard .100" pitch sockets, so there is no need to have a separate "programmer" like the other tiny boards. It actually measures 0.5" x 1", the copper looking round thing is a US penny. Never built any since it seemed moot, just did it for fun.

Keep any ideas and suggestions coming. Ill start working on some shields and a site.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

I would try to use bipolar (right term?) ADC and DAC so both positive and negative voltages are allowed. I can see the single-ended ADC/DAC is quite limited in its applications. Oh, add a shunt resistor near the ADC for crude current sensing. This definitely needs to be positive and negative.

Your mock up is nice but in case you make them you will need an external breadboard adapter for prototyping on a breadboard. Just my 2 cents.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Personally I'd like built-in RS485 networking, but don't do that because I'm already working on one smiley

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

* Status shield
Has for every line a LED that shows if it is LOW/HIGH (dimmer if PWM or an analog voltage)
e.g. shows (implicitely) SPI I2C communication

Oooh, a breakout box for your Arduino! Sounds very cool.

I suppose a Tricorder is out?  smiley-roll

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
View Profile

I suppose a Tricorder is out?

I like that one, a tricorder shield, but only if it includes a BORG  detector!  smiley-wink

Rob Tillaart

SF Bay Area
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Here's something I was mocking up a while back. Its essentially an arduino uno clone with the atmega8u2 + atmega328 with standard .100" pitch sockets, so there is no need to have a separate "programmer" like the other tiny boards. It actually measures 0.5" x 1", the copper looking round thing is a US penny. Never built any since it seemed moot, just did it for fun.

That's is awefully small. Looks great! I've seen 2 other mini-boards such as yours. I think yours is slightly smaller than the other 2.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: