Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: connect multiple arduinos by rf  (Read 2823 times)
Smithfield, Rhode Island
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Oh you'll probably hear from me in the near future with a project goal ;-)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

So I should start thinking about a shield with connector for a remote display & RF? smiley

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Smithfield, Rhode Island
God Member
View Profile

So I should start thinking about a shield with connector for a remote display & RF? smiley

LOL, I have been thinking about it. I'll send you some notes. What I might do first is a wifi based web server with its own mpu on a shield that can talk to the main board. It occured to me that maybe a jumper would have been in order to let users flash an update to an atmel MPU that's on a shield vs the one on the main board :-(

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

This is the first time you've mentioned having a 2nd processor. Can't think of everything all the time.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Smithfield, Rhode Island
God Member
View Profile

This is the first time you've mentioned having a 2nd processor. Can't think of everything all the time.

Oh of course its not your fault. It didn't occur to me until just recently.

Near Rotterdam in Holland
Arduino rocks
View Profile

have you seen the jeenode?
http://jeelabs.net/projects/hardware/wiki/JeeNode
It communicates thru RF.
Not sure if it will be usefull for you.

Best regards Alban

Best regards,

Alban

P.S. sorry for asking silly questions... I'm a mechanical engineer and not an electronics engineer smiley-wink

www.reptile-addict.nl

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

@skyjumper,
I was just saying its hard to think of everything one could possibly do with a card for all future scenarios, not that we forgot to include something.  I see folks are talking of a math coprocessor now too, that's certainly a big change in capability I wouldn't have imagined for an 8-bit processor.

@Alban,
We've taken the jeenode and gone way beyond that. ATMega1284 (lots more memory, more IO, 2nd serial ports), added SPI UART for more IO, added RS232 & RS485 drives (converts signal levels), added Real Time Clock with battery backup (bottom of the board), added Secure Data (SD) card. Adding RF will be straight forward, just need to pick from the myriad of transmitters, receivers, or transceivers available.  Really crammed a lot of stuff into 60x80mm and 80x100mm footprints.  See the cards here www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17

Arduino rocks
View Profile

which battery do you suggest for using?

Arduino nano works with 5v (may be 3v?)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220820957973&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

and th nRF24 works with 1.9V-3.3V Vcc input
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280718046569&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I prefer a small rechargeable battery.
can't find the right battery for me.

Thanks again smiley-razz

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

I would go with three AA type batteries to the nano VCC/5V pin and get 50mA of 3.3V from the FTDI chip.
Or, pick off 3V from two of the batteries for the transceiver if 50mA is not enough current.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:49:40 am by CrossRoads » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

what do you say about 1/2 AA?
there is a 1.2V each, or 3V each

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

4 x 1.2  = 4.8V, good for nano
2 x 1.2 = 2.4, good for RF

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thank you for your answers,
but I want it to be small...do you this 3 X 1.3 = 3.6V is enough for the nano+rf ?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

3 x 1.3 = 3.9

Add a diode between 3.9 & the RF, bring it down to 3.2, should be okay then.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

haha,  1.2X3=3.6

I guess its the same, so thanks!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: