Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: "The Brick" - All In One - Arduino Platform Compatible  (Read 13174 times)
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

There are 3 AtTiny84's. Each one is used for high speed counting. The reason I have seperate processors is high speed counting uses alot of processor resources once you start counting really fast pulses, and I didnt want to A) effect the result and B) bog down the main processor, which is potentially doing a ton of other things. So the AtTiny's just send the result to the main processor on request.

This sort of stuff I think would have been perfect for a CPLD or even FPGA, you can synthesize as many asynchronous counters as you can fit in one chip, and also make them do other stuff

How are you networking the ATtinys? I2C? UART (two wire per chip? addressing each chip? daisy chained? ) ? SPI?

Freelance engineer, consultant, contractor. Graduated from UW in 2013.

Newcastle, UK
View Profile

There are 3 AtTiny84's. Each one is used for high speed counting. The reason I have seperate processors is high speed counting uses alot of processor resources once you start counting really fast pulses, and I didnt want to A) effect the result and B) bog down the main processor, which is potentially doing a ton of other things. So the AtTiny's just send the result to the main processor on request.

How are you networking the ATtinys? I2C? UART (two wire per chip? addressing each chip? daisy chained? ) ? SPI?

They talk to the main processor over SPI.
The board utilises both SPI and I2C for its various on board IC's.

NZ
Turtle in a hard shell
View Profile

Yeah what he said smiley
SPI

Yep this no doubt would have been perfect for a FPGA etc, not quite up to that level yet but I am planning to have a play with one in the near future.

How it is currently though utilises the Arduino IDE and therefore Arduino libs etc. All of the pins utilised on the 2560 are implemented in the Arduino Mega, so in theory the IDE can natively control everything without having to do direct port manipulation, for those who dont want to have to do that etc.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

im sorry if i missed this, but does this have the additional rx/tx serial data pins also?

NZ
Turtle in a hard shell
View Profile

Hi
Sorry what do you mean?

This utilises all 4 serial ports on the 2560, as mentioned in the first post (the references to UART's)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:11:20 pm by WanaGo » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Is anyone making another run of these boards?

NZ
Turtle in a hard shell
View Profile

I am just assembling the first 5 at the moment, and if it works then I dont see why not.

There will be a few versions of this made at some point, this one has a lot of features and some may not be desired by everyone, so other versions can be designed if required.

Regards
James

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

So do plan on publishing a schematic, or at least more details of all the specifics of the board?

Lefty

NZ
Turtle in a hard shell
View Profile

Hi

Yes I plan on doing something - yet I have to prove its actually going to work first.
Still assembling - will post more details once I have the first one fully complete.

smiley

James

NZ
Turtle in a hard shell
View Profile

Thought I should write a bit of an update.

Assembled the first board and had issues from the word go - power correct everywhere, but 2560 no worky. Long story short, the atMega2560 processor on that board was dead for some reason. External clock, new crystal etc, nothing seemed to get it talking. Putting it down to a 1 in a million failure - who knows. Removed the 2560 from the board and will order another chip in to replace it.

Assembled the second board, and smooth sailing so far - phew, for the most part anyway.

Tested the following things, without issues - very crude code, just to prove the hardware

2560 bootloaded and fused correctly, and USB programming working.
Relay Outputs - all 6 switch fine.
General IO - all 18 as inputs trigger as inputs no problem. Even applied 18VDC to one of the inputs, and it lived - yay.
Analog Outputs - all 4 appear to work no problem with the library found on here.
Analog Inputs - all 8 appear to work no problem too, thanks for the help RetroLefty.
Digital/PWM Outputs - all 12 appear to turn on and off, havent put much effort into making the 16 bit capable PWMs run at 16 bit yet, but thats software really.
Bluetooth - connected my Sena module and with my very crude code echoed the response to the USB so I could see whats going on, so that works. Data flowing to laptop terminal program.
SPI to atTiny84's - Got comms working with the help of Graynomad and Nick Gammon - thanks, so have the USI working in SPI mode, and can pass data between the 2560 and the atTiny's. High Speed code, as per the intension of the atTiny's, I dont have working yet. Currently trying to get that working.

Still to test:
RS232
RS485
SD Writing
RTC
EEPROM
XBEE (Dont own a XBee yet...)

So great result so far, just time consuming testing everything as Im not much of a coder, but eventually get there. On about the 4th 2am finishes with 6am start for work - so getting a bit tired, but must...push.... on.... smiley

James
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 07:30:08 pm by WanaGo » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I did the testing on my Bobuinot the same way, several little sketches that each tested a function or data path.
Crude, ugly things, but they show the hardware working, which suited my needs.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Newcastle, UK
View Profile

So great result so far, just time consuming testing everything as Im not much of a coder, but eventually get there. On about the 4th 2am finishes with 6am start for work - so getting a bit tired, but must...push.... on.... smiley
Thanks for posting an update. It looks like the board testing is coming along nicely smiley

We've all been there, working late into the night but in the end the results are worth the lack of sleep smiley-wink

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

We've all been there
Amen to that smiley

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Great project! Thought maybe I can share what I've been up to around the same time frame, an ATMEGA328 powered HMI (human machine interface) or LCD keypad panel with serial interface:

16 key keypad and multi-tap. Invoke interactive menu or long messages, tones on buzzer, LED indicator and all LCD functions etc over serial. Easy to construct a menu in 1 minute smiley
There is also a 20X4 version.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Very nice Liudr.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: