Go Down

Topic: Cheap scope with LCD (Read 10683 times) previous topic - next topic

halley

The Velleman HPS10 Hand Held Oscilloscope sells for about $109.95 and has a 10MHz sampling rate according for the specs and
2MHz analog bandwidth

Could someone repeat the PCM demo with a Velleman HPS10SE and post that to youtube?  I definitely don't want the Rigol price point, but the cheaper PCB oscope seems a bit slow to refresh with dynamic signals.  Maybe the Velleman is a good middle ground.

halley

In case anyone's got this thread on notify, I put a "first impressions" test of the oscope in another thread at http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1228070870/3#3 - seems okay for seeing individual bits in an i2c conversation.

swbluto

Nice. I've been looking for an appropriate oscilloscope.

I've seen the oscilloscope that relays information from the arduino to the computer which is updated on a Processing graphics window(Pretty nice), but with sample data being 3 bytes and the practical limit of the rs232-usb converter being 167 bytes/s, the practical bandwidth of it is ~56 Hz, which obviously palls in comparison. If one weren't to use the computer's USB connection for relaying data, then the limiting factor would be, at least, the Atmega168's analog-in's sampling rate of ~100ms on average, which limits it to 10 Khz(or around 5kHz in the worst case).

The fact there's something else out there that's cheap and has a bandwidth of 1Mhz is pretty nice to know.

ubuntucat

Any way to connect this scope to a computer?

gnu_linux

Using a serial port I believe, but serial ports are very slow

:)

ubuntucat

Seems really interesting to me.....Is there anything out there that is a few steps better?  2 channels, faster lcd

gnu_linux

Yes, but not at this price point

The kit is about $33 I believe

A basic Velleman scope sells for about $110-$120 fully assembled with LCD but no backlight

Archive555

I'm new to scopes, and this is just the sort of 'basic, entry-level' scope I've been looking for. I'm going to order one soon :D

gnu_linux

Dec 24, 2008, 04:07 pm Last Edit: Dec 24, 2008, 04:09 pm by gnu_linux Reason: 1
$33 for the kit from China and $48 assembled from the US

SeedStudio has the Kit and the assembled version

NCK in the US has the assembled version only

http://www.nkcelectronics.com/digital-storage-oscilloscope-very-low-cost.html

airman00

can anyone testify to their "goodness"?

I mostly wanna use it with PWM to servos and to LEDs. Would this O-scope be good for my application?
Check out the Roboduino Arduino-compatible board!

halley

Dec 24, 2008, 07:12 pm Last Edit: Dec 24, 2008, 07:13 pm by halley Reason: 1
See the link I put in "Reply #31" above.

DaveK

Dec 25, 2008, 01:42 am Last Edit: Dec 25, 2008, 01:46 am by DaveK Reason: 1

Could someone repeat the PCM demo with a Velleman HPS10SE and post that to youtube?

Here is the HPS10, I imagine the SE is the same except for the backlight: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBzcWVzb_UA):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBzcWVzb_UA[/media]

For the price I'm very happy with the HPS10. A backlight would be nice, but it isn't hard to see. I've had mine for about 3 or 4 years and have only had minor problems with it running on batteries (doesn't want to turn on, might be fixed by fresh batteries). If I keep it plugged in it gives no problems at all.

You can see my review of the scope on Amazon.

Patzak

I purchased one from seeedstudio.  Came with the panels and buttons.  Cost is $49  USD with free shipping.  I purchase a few things direct from Hong Kong.  Air post, the free shipping advantage, takes two weeks to arive in Michigan.  This is deffinately a beginers scope but is more than adequate as a learning tool on the Arduino, Seedino and Sanguino.

nigel_mck

Could this scope measure trangle or sine waves?

halley

If by 'measure', you mean 'display' and you can see how tall and wide they are against the grid, yes.  It's not limited to digital HIGH/LOW transitions at all.

Go Up