Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: The moral responsibility in giving help?  (Read 4728 times)
UK
Faraday Member
Gorm deficient
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I agree with K - dump the thread and ban the poster.
If it had been posed as a true collaboration, I don't have a problem, but it is a blatent cheat.
Posters like this are all 'take' - they may give financially to one or two members, but will return nothing to the wider 'community' because they have no present or future interest in it.
We'll never see him/her again once they've got what they want.
They're hardly likely to post their ill-gotten gains in the Exhibition section.
Disruptive too.

edit: the post has been deleted - mod or poster?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:17:52 am by Groove » Logged

Per Arduino ad Astra

Leighton Buzzard, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

I guess it did get deleted then
 I "signed up" to see what the project was
blatant homework question - pretty simple too
most odd

I'm always happy to help if I have info that others don't
unless that info is so trivial that it ranks alongside walking upright

I would always caveat anything that is related to high energy in any form, (mains, fuel etc)
also anything with a potential life risk (modifying a vehicle, for example)

trouble is there is always potential for evil intent
R/C aircraft for example - lots of places where a 'duino would be useful
lots of potential evil that can be wrought with the results

people eh!
wouldn't life be soooo much easier without them
(up there with customers I suppose!)

there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

the post has been deleted - mod or poster?

Dunno - it wasn't me, and the poster isn't banned.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Not me.

I suspect the original poster removed the topic (is that possible?) to cover his tracks.  He seemed concerned about getting caught.

@AWOL: What is the post count?  (If you remember the moniker)

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

User "arduinohelp", zero posts.
I guess s/he removed the topic.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I hope the person who agreed to do the work was wise enough to ask for the money up front.

But this I felt was potentially dangerous to people not involved in the project

That's also the line for me.  Injure yourself?  Shame on you.  Injure an innocent bystander?  Shame on me (for helping).

I think you did the right thing.

Chester, UK
Trying to return the love to none logic level MOSFETS
View Profile

I may well add a disclamer along the lines of:
If your system involves lethal voltages/life critical/flamable elements - you probably shouldn't need to ask.
Attaching a camera and transmitting pictures wirelessly with an Arduino is probably a fools errand please use something more appropriate.
The Arduino is not a PC.

If your system involves lethal voltages/life critical/flamable elements - you probably shouldn't need to ask.
The Arduino != PC.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

I've been noticing with some amusement the disclaimers in the fine print (sometimes not so fine) at the bottom of various datasheets. On the one hand I get it, these companies have to be plenty lawyered up because people will bring $100M lawsuits for no reason. OTOH, some of these are laughably broad, e.g. "... any other application in which the failure of the ... product could create a situation where personal injury or death may occur." I can see it now, "Uncle Al is dead because his radio didn't work when the Acme, Inc. Veeblefetzer failed, so he didn't hear the weather report, and he died in the hurricane."

So when I see one of these dangerous projects, maybe I'll just tell folks that they are using the components in a manner inconsistent with the datasheet (we probably all are, and at all times).  smiley-lol

For your reading pleasure...
ATmegaXX8 (Atmel)
Atmel products are not suitable for, and shall not be used in, automotive applications. Atmel products are not intended, authorized, or warranted for use as components in applications intended to support or sustain life.

74LS123 datasheet (National Semiconductor)
LIFE SUPPORT POLICY
NATIONAL'S PRODUCTS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR USE AS CRITICAL COMPONENTS IN LIFE SUPPORT DEVICES OR SYSTEMS WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN APPROVAL OF THE PRESIDENT OF NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR CORPORATION.

2N6071A/B Series Sensitive Gate Triacs (ON Semiconductor)
SCILLC products are not designed, intended, or authorized for use as components in systems intended for surgical implant into the body, or other applications intended to support or sustain life, or for any other application in which the failure of the SCILLC product could create a situation where personal injury or death may occur.

ZTT Series Ceramic Resonator (ECS Inc.)
ECS does not approve the use of it's products in Automotive, Military, Avionics, Life Sustaining or Life Support systems or any other related medical applications without written approval from ECS INC.

Just a humble 2N4401 transistor (Fairchild Semiconductor)
LIFE SUPPORT POLICY
FAIRCHILD’S PRODUCTS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR USE AS CRITICAL COMPONENTS IN LIFE SUPPORT DEVICES OR SYSTEMS WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN APPROVAL OF FAIRCHILD SEMICONDUCTOR CORPORATION.
As used herein:
1. Life support devices or systems are devices or systems which, (a) are intended for surgical implant into the body, or (b) support or sustain life, or (c) whose failure to perform when properly used in accordance with instructions for use provided in the labeling, can be reasonably expected to result in significant injury to the user.
2. A critical component is any component of a life support device or system whose failure to perform can be reasonably expected to cause the failure of the life support device or system, or to affect its safety or effectiveness.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: