Go Down

Topic: Robot identification (Read 853 times) previous topic - next topic

robotix3

I am trying to find out a way to have a inexpensive way to identify multiple robots when they move over a small area. I was going to use RFID but that is to much... Would infrared work? All I need is a system that can read a 3 digit ID from each robot and then relay the ID to a computer, any ideas?

robotix3

Haha sorry I didn't do a very good job of explaining myself. A robot will be driven into a "slot" and the transmitter will be on the bottom of the robot, the reader being under the robot. Only one robot will be in each slot at a time, but there will be multiple slots. This is the only point that the data will be sent.

robotix3

Would this setup work? http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1211371364

cr0sh

Haha sorry I didn't do a very good job of explaining myself. A robot will be driven into a "slot" and the transmitter will be on the bottom of the robot, the reader being under the robot. Only one robot will be in each slot at a time, but there will be multiple slots. This is the only point that the data will be sent.

In that case, IR would probably be the simplest to implement - but another possibility might be an air-gap transformer (1:1 ratio) system, with half of the "transformer" on the robot, and half under the slot. It's something to think about, but an IR system would likely be easier and cheaper (not too mention easier to align and "tune").
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

robotix3

Just realized, will I be able to use multiple detectors with one arduino? Would it be easier to have 2 contacts on the robots that can send some kind of TTL? Could someone give me an example? :D

robotix3

Aug 16, 2011, 03:35 am Last Edit: Aug 16, 2011, 03:52 am by robotix3 Reason: 1
After doing more designing I decided that contact would be best... 4 connections at least per arduino would be ideal.

And speed would be in a margin of a few seconds

robotix3

I guess I can just use the software serial interface to use multiple digital pins on the "hub" arduino for RX and ground. Hmm would this work?

Go Up