Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Very Small Arduino  (Read 11561 times)
Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have, here on the forum and also at
www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

This is better, much cleaner.

* very_small_328.jpg (89.12 KB, 960x720 - viewed 51 times.)

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Leeds, UK
View Profile

Wow!
Thanks for all the info gang.

Lots to take in and mull over.

I will weigh up my options and decide which way to go.

Thanks again, much appreciated I can assure you.

Paul

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Any one have any comments?  I'm gonna order a batch of boards from itead studio.

* Mini-uino.jpg (109.61 KB, 960x720 - viewed 33 times.)

View Profile

Have you looked at the Lilypad Arduino or Seeeduino FILM?

Soldering the appropriate components on a chip socket is probably the easiest way to go if you're not going to be continually reprogramming the ATmega chip. The Seeduino is a little larger than it absolutely needs to be, but it does have the header for a USB programmer breakout board.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:03:41 am by ManicDee » Logged

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Any one have any comments?  I'm gonna order a batch of boards from itead studio.

Yes, you should call it the BabyBobbyuino.  smiley-wink

Lefty

View Profile

This is better, much cleaner.

Did you design that? Don't you think a thinner, but longer PCB would be better? (like 15mm*30mm) often the space is only limited in one direction ...

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Well, with a $1 PCB, a $3 processor, about 15 cents in Rs & Cs and 31 cents for a crystal, I think I can have something nice & small and more repeatable than glomming parts onto a socket. The ICSP header is just D11, D12, D13 and power, reset, groud, which are all available on the header pins, so don't really need them twice. Same with Rx, Tx, power, ground - DTR! I forgot cap for that. That's why I had an extra pin.

Any orientation is possible, any collection of hardware ...

* Mini-uino-DTR.jpg (106.69 KB, 960x720 - viewed 21 times.)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Other variations...

* Side-uino.jpg (83.99 KB, 960x720 - viewed 16 times.)

* Side-uino_DIP.jpg (103.58 KB, 960x720 - viewed 27 times.)

Dallas, TX USA
Edison Member
View Profile

To me the side-uino DIP is much more interesting than the smaller unit.
(very similar to the sippino: http://spikenzielabs.com/SpikenzieLabs/sippino.html)
The reason that I like it better is few a few reasons, but mainly because the larger unit
can be talked to by using standard things & connectors. i.e. you can hook up an 6 pin ISP
connector, a 6 pin FTDI cable, or even plug it directly into a bread board.

With the smaller unit, you will always have to wire up something to use it & program it.
I think it would helpful on the smaller unit if it had say a 6 pin serial port, or an ISP port,
or perhaps another set of 2 holes along the edge where the digital or analog pins are so
that you could plug in sensors or servos directly. Then it would start to hit my hot buttons.
It would make the board bigger but would it really be bigger by the time you make the board
usable in its current form?

Just my thoughts...
---- bill

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

That's where that is! Iknew I had seen the sippono somewhere, but couldn't find it and didn'tknow what it was called.

Did a little rearranging while watching football ...
 1.35" x 1.35"

* Mini-uino-DTR_ICSP_GND.jpg (108.61 KB, 960x720 - viewed 31 times.)

The people the people they see me and they know
View Profile

How many are you planning on ordering? And how much would you sell them for? These could come in handy. Oh yeah and do you happen to know off the top of your head how much the external programmer would cost?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Well, I was thinking 20 or so, then sell for like a buck each plus postage. Bare board only.

Programmers are not very much, check MDFLY.com, nkcelectronics.com, adafruit.com, are in the $12-14 range.

http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_6&products_id=415 (really slow website tonight)
http://www.nkcelectronics.com/pocket-avr-programmer.html
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9825
https://www.adafruit.com/products/46&zenid=471bca9a9f0f59244738dbc14744a388

I wasn't paying attention and ended up with one from each of them, and maybe two from nkcelectronics.
Have only used the mdfly.com unit so far, installed drivers & added 2 lines to programmers.txt, has been orking great with my Bobuino boards.

The people the people they see me and they know
View Profile

Ok thanks for the info. I don't have that much in my paypal right now having just bought a HTC evo 3D and 20 dollar case but I might see if you have any more of those in the future. A 6ish dollar arduino would be epic

Seattle, WA
View Profile

I started out with the Adafruit USBTinyISP; the kit's $22 USD.  Works like a charm with avrdude, but forget using it directly from AVR Studio under Windows 7 - I had to unbox my STK500 for that.

I recently got my hands on a Bus Pirate (http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus_Pirate), which is an excellent little multi-purpose debugging/troubleshooting tool.  It also works quite nicely as an AVR ISP programmer and is directly supported by avrdude.  Check out the link for more information.  Quite possibly the most useful tool I've ever purchased, and has paid for itself many times over IMHO.  Definite bonus points for NOT being a single-purpose device.

Bus Pirate is about $30 at SparkFun: http://goo.gl/jg4Ba ; synthetos makes a wicked little laser-cut acrylic case for it, available here: http://goo.gl/NH6eO

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
Jump to: