Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Very Small Arduino  (Read 14880 times)
Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So one could hook up independent devices and be sure to have a ground connection available for it.
That's one of my peeves with the Promini; connect up power/gnd, Rx/Tx/Gnd out to a connector, and you're down to 1 gnd for anything else.
What good is a small processor if you have to do all kinds of wiring fooling around to connect to it?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Romania
View Profile

ah smiley-grin makes sense - anyway i have some ideas on how to use the boards but ill have to wait for the atmega328 to arrive

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Won't the '8A do what a '328 can do, you just have less memory to do it in?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Romania
View Profile

yeah pretty much the same but im running low on atmega8 too smiley-razz the board i assembled today uses atmega8

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
Warning Novice on board! 0 to 1 chance of errors!
View Profile

@CrossRoads,

I bought some reset switches but, although small they are too big. Can you tell me what to use for these boards?

I have 2 built to the point that I think they are ready to program but, it maybe a day or two.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

The board wasn't intended to have a switch installed on it - just wired to one off board if needed.
Reset is mainly there to allow programming via AVR ISP programmer, or via serial download using USB/Serial adapter.

Málaga, Spain
Edison Member
View Profile

I just thought I'd share this board I've been sharing in other threads of the community:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,71375.0.html

Given that this initial post was about "Very Small Arduino", I thought I would also share it with you here too.

The arduCHIP is a small compact board and breadboard-friendly based on the ATmega328. It has more or less the same functionality of the Arduino, but in a very small and compact package (20.6mm x 25.8mm).

It requires a 4.5-5.5V, or 1.8 to 4.2 if you run it at 8MHz, regulated power source making it the perfect companion for the arduSTAMP. The serial interface is fully compatible with the USB breakout board of the arduSTAMP or with sparkFun's FTDI basic. It also has a reset push button when prototyping and downloading.

The arduCHIP is meant for users that are familiar with the Arduino environment and are looking for a cost effective bare bones board to use on a space and budget constraint project (less than 7€ BOM including PCB). If you are not familiar with the Arduino environment it is recommend that you first go for the Arduino Duemilanove, the ONE (they are great boards and a very good starting point) or even the arduSTAMP. arduCHIP does not come with header connectors assembled (only the ISP and UART header) so that you can solder in any connector with the orientation you need for your application.

Here is an image of the IO mapping and PCB.

The entire project is opensouce, Eagle CAD files and an Eagle library file (to simplify using the board in any project) can be downloaded from:
Wiki page: https://bitbucket.org/fmalpartida/arduchip/wiki/Home
Download page: https://bitbucket.org/fmalpartida/arduchip/downloads

I have currently run out of boards but there is a new batch coming.

If any one is interested in the PCBs, I've currently run out off but will be receiving an additional batch soon. I am sending them for:
- 2,2€ - bare board
- 13€ - fully assembled board

This includes shipping using regular snail mail.

Here are some images of an assembled unit.

* arduCHIP_RevA.2.pdf (37.75 KB - downloaded 11 times.)

* arduCHIP.jpg (174.23 KB, 2133x1293 - viewed 79 times.)

Málaga, Spain
Edison Member
View Profile

The arduSTAMP Rev A.2 have arrived today. The boards look great and are working like a wonder.

Surprisingly surface finish of the boards have been done ENIG (Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold)! The quality of this batch is extremely good.

Hear are some pictures of the boards.

For all of you waiting for Rev A.2 to arrive, they are now available.

* arduSTAMP_boards_small.jpg (175.27 KB, 1166x778 - viewed 40 times.)

* arduSTAMP_Rev2.0_web.jpg (175.98 KB, 1195x1677 - viewed 38 times.)

* arduSTAMP-Boards_web.jpg (104.7 KB, 670x510 - viewed 33 times.)

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
Warning Novice on board! 0 to 1 chance of errors!
View Profile

The arduSTAMP Rev A.2 have arrived today.

How much would it be for 3 shipped to USA 62246? In US dollars please.

Málaga, Spain
Edison Member
View Profile

Bare boards are going for 2€ each + registered mail to the USA 3,10€. Current exchange rates today: 1 Euro = 1.3795 U.S. dollars.

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand why you would need more than 1 ground pin? 
Why can't you just connect them to the same pin?

Accelerate to 88 miles per hour.

Gosport, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand why you would need more than 1 ground pin? 
Why can't you just connect them to the same pin?

I would assume for flexibility. You will likely have several components that would need a connection to ground, so allowing multiple connection points to the ground plane means not having to solder more than one lead to the same hole. I know I would do that, if I was ever designing a board.

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

oh that makes sense

Málaga, Spain
Edison Member
View Profile

Yep, that is correct, the reason behind putting extra GND pins was to give users a bit more flexibility. Most projects tend to use the ground plane pin often, so... Also, if you are using a USB to UART you would have to share that pin with the rest of the project, making it a bit un-friendly, ... By having multiple ground pins you can leave a ground pin dedicated to that  UART to USB (for example).

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

So there are multiple connections, but only one ground plane

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Jump to: