Go Down

Topic: Arduino AC Power Shield! (Read 28 times) previous topic - next topic

hads

If you have the time, I'm curious what would need to be changed for this to work with 240V/50Hz. Are you sill using the same schematic from your other post?

I've been looking at doing some lighting control myself and have been researching building something like this.

Cheers,

hads

betwys

I know you are not directing this query to me, but using ONE Arduino digital output to drive a SEPERATE bolt down SSR means you buy just one thing - a 120 volt or a 240 volt SSR at whatever rating you need: 10A, 25A  or 40A

This would be a safe, no brainer approach except for one small detail:
opto-isolated zero crossing SSRs don't come cheap.
Sadly.

Brian Whatcott

hads

I agree an SSR would be ideal, except in this particular instance I'd like the ability to dim lighting.

ryanjmclaughlin

hads,

240V/50Hz...  is that 120V on 2 legs?  I am not that familiar with that power.

Check out the data sheet for the opto-triac drivers.  http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/MO%2FMOC3020M.pdf it has some 240V examples.  Basically the same setup with some different resistor values between the opto-coupler and triac.  The zero-cross can stay the same, just ensure you adjust the resistor value for the rating of the H11AA1 maybe 50k?

Remember, if you want to switch high current loads with this, your PCB needs to have large traces and a heavy copper layer to handle the current, even though the triac may be rated for 12A make sure the interconnects are as well!

ryanjmclaughlin

betwys,  I agree I use alot of SCR's at work.  Like you said, the big downside is cost, and sometimes space.  I really built this for someone that needs something low cost and simple to hook up.  AC is a strange world.

This circuit is just about the same thing that goes inside a SCR, it is really just making the cost less by breaking it down and giving some more control.

I am working on the final version and am leaning towards a separate board rather than working with a shield.  I personally love the shield idea, but I know it can strick some high voltage fears in people.

Go Up