Go Down

Topic: Arduino AC Power Shield! (Read 28 times) previous topic - next topic

ryanjmclaughlin

Here is the current UNTESTED code...  let me know if you have any better ideas of doing this...  I hope to test this tonight or tomorrow.

Code: [Select]
/*
 AC Light Control

Ryan McLaughlin <ryanjmclaughlin@gmail.com>

The hardware consists of an Triac to act as an A/C switch and
 an opto-isolator to give us a zero-crossing reference.
 The software uses two interrupts to control dimming of the light.
 The first is a hardware interrupt to detect the zero-cross of
 the AC sine wave, the second is software based and always running
 at 1/128 of the AC wave speed. After the zero-cross is detected
 the function check to make sure the proper dimming level has been
 reached and the light is turned on mid-wave, only providing
 partial current and therefore dimming our AC load.

Thanks to http://www.andrewkilpatrick.org/blog/?page_id=445
   and http://www.hoelscher-hi.de/hendrik/english/dimmer.htm

*/

#include <TimerOne.h>           // Avaiable from http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/Timer1

volatile int i[4], j;               // Variable to use as a counter
volatile boolean zero_cross[4] = {0,0,0,0};  // Boolean to store a "switch" to tell us if we have crossed zero
int AC[4] = {4,5,6,7};          // Setup the AC output pins
int ACenable[4] = {1,1,1,1};    // Enable dimming for this output
int output[4] = {64,64,64,64};  // Create output vars for Dimming level (0-128)  0 = on, 128 = 0ff
int dim = 0;                    // Dimming level (0-128)  0 = on, 128 = 0ff
int freqStep = 65;              // Set the delay for the frequency of power (65 for 60Hz, 78 for 50Hz) per step (using 128 steps)
                               // freqStep may need some adjustment depending on your power the formula
                               // you need to us is (500000/AC_freq)/NumSteps = freqStep
                               // You could also write a seperate function to determine the freq

void setup() {                                      // Begin setup
 pinMode(AC[0], OUTPUT);                           // Set the Triac pin as output
 pinMode(AC[1], OUTPUT);                           // Set the Triac pin as output
 pinMode(AC[2], OUTPUT);                           // Set the Triac pin as output
 pinMode(AC[3], OUTPUT);                           // Set the Triac pin as output

attachInterrupt(0, zero_cross_detect, FALLING);   // Attach an Interupt to Pin 2 (interupt 0) for Zero Cross Detection
 Timer1.initialize(freqStep);                      // Initialize TimerOne library for the freq we need
 Timer1.attachInterrupt(output_check, freqStep);   // Use the TimerOne Library to attach an interrupt
                                                   // to the function we use to check to see if it is
                                                   // the right time to fire the triac.  This function
                                                   // will now run every freqStep in microseconds.  
 Serial.begin(9600);                                        
}                                                   // End setup

void zero_cross_detect() {                 // function to be fired at the zero crossing                          
   zero_cross[0] = 1;                     // set the boolean to true to tell our dimming function that a zero cross has occured
   zero_cross[1] = 1;
   zero_cross[2] = 1;
   zero_cross[3] = 1;
}                                          // End zero_cross_detect

void output_check() {                      // Function will fire the triac at the proper time

for( j=0; j<4; j++ ) {                     // Loop this function for each one of the outputs
 if(zero_cross[j]) {                      // First check to make sure the zero-cross has happened else do nothing
   if(i[j] >= output[j] && ACenable[j]) { // Check and see if i has accumilated to the dimming value we want
     digitalWrite(AC[j], HIGH);             // Fire the Triac mid-phase
     delayMicroseconds(2);                // Pause briefly to ensure the triac turned on
     digitalWrite(AC[j], LOW);              // Turn off the Triac gate (Triac will not turn off until next zero cross)  
     i[j]=0;                              // If we fired the triac, reset the counters
     zero_cross[j] = 0;                   // Reset the zero cross detection
   } else {
     i[j]++;                              // if nothing is done incriment th counter
   }
 }                                       // End zero_cross check
}                                         // End each loop
}                                         // End output_check function

void loop() {                        // Main Loop

output[0] = 75;                    // Set output values for dimming
 output[1] = 25;
 output[2] = 50;
 output[3] = 100;

Serial.print("Output Values:   ");
 Serial.print(output[0]);
 Serial.print("\t");
 Serial.print(output[1]);
 Serial.print("\t");
 Serial.print(output[2]);
 Serial.print("\t");
 Serial.print(output[3]);
 Serial.print("\n");
}

hads

ryanjmclaughlin,

Thanks for the pointer, I should have read the data sheet more carefully - you're right the info is there.

To clarify, it's 230-240V/50Hz, used in New Zealand, Australia and the Pacific.

I've done a little work with HV before but not a huge amount, I'd be installing on a separate board in a box isolated from the Arduino. More than happy to work together if you're interested.

Cheers,

hads

ryanjmclaughlin

hads,

Let me know if you can do any testing.  there may be a good resistor combination for both power systems.  e-mail me an I can show you some of the designs for the next board.  I am used to doing HV, but new at micros.

what is the voltage on the line for you?  I know in US what we call 220V is actually 4-conductors...  120V, 120V, Neutral, GND.  Is your power the same way? or 240V, Neutral, Ground?

hads

ryanjmclaughlin,

Our 240V is 3 conductor, 240V, Neutral, Ground.

I'll drop you an email regarding testing.

Cheers,

hads

betwys

Another red herring (probably) for the person that wants to dim lighting with no drama.....
All the stores carry light dimmers - around 700 watts for around $10.
This is relatively attractive pricing. The potentiometer dimmer control would not be hard to automate with a smoothed analog output, I suspect!

Brian W

Go Up