Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Tips needed on soldering prototype PCB  (Read 1129 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I'm ready to move from plastic breadboard to the soldering type of prototype PCB. What i immediately notice is that I'm missing the very useful "connected strips"  - those long strips that run at the bottom of the plastic breadboard that allow you to easily connect all your +5V and grounds.

So my question is how do I replicate this easily on a proto PCB? Do I start by drawing a long line with solder on the back of the PCB? But then I realise I will be blocking the holes to actually put the components in smiley Do I solder the connecting line when I'm finished with soldering all components - on top of the component soldering? I've been searching for youtube videos on specifically this topic but all I could find are individual component soldering - never the "connection lines".

thanks!

XBerg

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

"connected strips" are more commonly called "bus strips". And how you implement it is pretty much up to you, not sure there is a universal method.

Some pre-fab solder proto-boards come with bus strips:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=proto-board&hl=en&sa=X&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS373US373&biw=1061&bih=721&tbm=isch&prmd=ivns&tbnid=qgp6ofaCwd_m9M:&imgrefurl=http://www.futurlec.com/ProtoBoards.shtml&docid=v1P8Gwr7S5kDKM&w=300&h=241&ei=gQ1OTsfsLoHmiAKTvbxs&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=203&page=1&tbnh=142&tbnw=177&start=0&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=93&ty=55

Lefty

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Using tinned copper wire on the component side is one way - the component leads are bent into right angle after pushing through the board and cut to about 3mm then hooked over the tinned bus wire and soldered to it. Best to arrange bus wire as straight line.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

If by saying prototyping PCB you mean perforation boards with solder pads on one side, you can solder the parts and use wire wrapping to connect parts together.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: