Go Down

Topic: Practical experience operating Consumer ICs outdoors (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Techone

I also considered good old fashioned light bulbs, that generate heat.  They say to heat a doghouse in Calgary with a incadescent 100W light bulb, to keep the dog warm, not sure how low of a temperature that would be effective.

That is a good idea...

To keep warm the project box, the use a Heat lamp control by a LM335 <-- inside temp monitor and of course insulation <-- The "pink" stuff, and make sure the inclosure is seal. ( lots of wet snows/freezing rains/rains/snow )

Just an idea...  

mjbmikeb

Aug 18, 2011, 05:35 am Last Edit: Aug 18, 2011, 12:47 pm by mjbmikeb Reason: 1
As others have said, condensation will be the biggest problem.
You need to keep all the electrical bits above the dew point.

Use the Arduino to measure the temperature and control a heater, or buy an off the shelf thing like this http://www.awrtech.co.uk/dew.htm

Bill_Kerr

Aug 18, 2011, 05:54 am Last Edit: Aug 18, 2011, 06:06 am by Bill_Kerr Reason: 1
Thanks for the replies so far:

Lefty  - for the resistor suggestion

Bobnova - solar panel(s) are self draining (pumping the pond water through it so antifreeze not an option if I want the fish to survive), and water pump will be turned off before internal panel temperature reaches freezing.

Drmn4ea - your experiences are illuminating, and I had not considered condensation.  The fact I am considering future wireless control, from your experience keeping the module warm will be a consideration.

Techone  - I know the pink stuff very well, used many sheets on my train layout for scenery the new purple has better R factor,  as for rain, Calgary is almost a desert re: rainfall, and the snow is dry ;^)  

Don't you just hate ONE D 10 T problems?

Techone

I know the pink stuff very well, used many sheets on my train layout for scenery the new purple has better R factor,  as for rain, Calgary is almost a desert re: rainfall, and the snow is dry ;^)

I did not know about the purple stuff ( I better check it out at Ronna or Home Depot )
I did know about Calgary being a desert, in Toronto, is humid and a lot of wet snows.

What about the electronics "boxs"  ( ABS, cruse control, engine control , ect ) inside your car ( specially made for Canada ), maybe a similar construction technique will be usefull for your project.

Just a taught...

CrossRoads

The ATMega328P is rated over a pretty broad range. How cold are you likely to see?

Temperature Range:
-40°C to 85°C

-40C = -40F, that's pretty cold!
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up